Ground from Deck makes speakers whine

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In the latest installment of my confusion during the learning process ...

my deck [clarion dxz785usb] has a ground coming out of its harness with a metal attachment at the end for screwing into the metal chassis of the car.

My metra nissan harness has a black wire named "amplifier ground" ... I am indeed running an amp to the deck via RCA's with a remote wire as well ...

So at this point i'm thinking "do I wire the ground from the deck to the chassis or through the aftermarket harness into the amplifier ground wire?"

I do a google search and find posts from another DIY forum where people are questioning if NOT wiring the ground from the deck to the chassis is whats causing it ... and visca versa ....

Whaddya guys think cause I'm stumped ??

Are you using Nissan amps or aftermarket amps, speakers, and speaker wire?

I would use the same ground as the amps. You can measure voltage between chassis and battery negative if there is any doubt. You can also measure voltage from that harness "ground" to the chassis ground to see if there are any differences there.

metaverse said:
In the latest installment of my confusion during the learning process ...

my deck [clarion dxz785usb] has a ground coming out of its harness with a metal attachment at the end for screwing into the metal chassis of the car.

My metra nissan harness has a black wire named "amplifier ground" ... I am indeed running an amp to the deck via RCA's with a remote wire as well ...

So at this point i'm thinking "do I wire the ground from the deck to the chassis or through the aftermarket harness into the amplifier ground wire?"

I do a google search and find posts from another DIY forum where people are questioning if NOT wiring the ground from the deck to the chassis is whats causing it ... and visca versa ....

Whaddya guys think cause I'm stumped ??

run your ground with metal attached to a bare metal spot on the chassis. you can run a secondary ground back to your amp from the metra harness "amp ground" (to minimize the chance of ground loops) but it is not always needed as long as you have a good short ground path to bare chassis at the amp and your signal rca's are run on the opposite side as the battery positive power wire.
:)

Re: Re: Ground from Deck makes speakers whine

damage said:
Are you using Nissan amps or aftermarket amps, speakers, and speaker wire?

I would use the same ground as the amps. You can measure voltage between chassis and battery negative if there is any doubt. You can also measure voltage from that harness "ground" to the chassis ground to see if there are any differences there.

The Nissan amps are the factory amps. Each bose speaker is attached to its own amp connected to it those amps leads then run up into the harness.

The stock harness is connected to the Metra harness which then connects to the Deck harness.

Also for those amp leads I wired an RCA to each of the four speaker wires on the metra harness so that they connect directly into the preamps for FRONT and BACK on my deck.

Should I still check the voltages, if so how? With a multimeter? I've only used an ohm meter before.

shagone said:

run your ground with metal attached to a bare metal spot on the chassis. you can run a secondary ground back to your amp from the metra harness "amp ground" (to minimize the chance of ground loops) but it is not always needed as long as you have a good short ground path to bare chassis at the amp and your signal rca's are run on the opposite side as the battery positive power wire.
:)

Ah **** ... There's something I forgot to mention. I have a 15" i'm trying to hook up as well ...

Again, each component speaker has its individual amp (factory bose).

The battery wire (for the sub) is running along the left side of the car along the kick panels and into the trunk where the Earthquake amp and 15" are. The RCA's for the sub are run underneath the back seat , under the center console up into the deck area.

oooh Bose. sometimes the individual amps go out on the bose systems and they do whine (capacitors leak and need to be replaced). was the bose system working with the factory head unit recently? did you get the bose specific metra harness? if so try grounding the metra harness "amp ground" to the chassis of the new radio by a screw or something and ground the radio to the car chassis.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.