Electrical differences between Nakamichi MB-100 and MB-X?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There isn't much more to ask.

We know they have different faceplates. One has a rotary volume knob. Different manufacturing dates and presumably locations. Otherwise, they are pretty darn similar. Same DAC chassis, Same features, Same paper specs (24 bit DACs).

If I were to open one of each up, would I find the same chips inside? the same capacitors? Are they electrically the same? (implying the same sound quality potential).

Or do I have to assume the Malaysian manufactured MB-X with it's higher price tag carries a better potential for audiophile grade sound?

Also, given the same remote, the same buttons (different layout), same CD slot location, and I know for a fact the faceplate connector is the same on both faceplates, what is the probability I can purchase an MB-X faceplate and slap it on an MB-100 body? (I was afraid to try this when I owned both)

I know this works between the 35z and 45z players....

Thanks guys,

Steve

Thanks Mad Mutt.

Are the internals the same? Same brand caps, same DACs, same mechanics? Same volume control circuit? Same source switchers? Did Nakamichi just update the looks and add a rotary volume knob?

Or should we expect some real major differences in sound quality from the pieces?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.