Quieting Noisy toroid on Xtant Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All,

Happy New Year,

I have a quick question. I have an Xtant 403a that emitting a high pitched noise from the torroid. I know I read a post on using some epoxy to quiet them down but I can not find it. I did find a post discussing the use of super corona dope but the instructions for the product require curing after application at about 200f. Anyone have any recommendations on what to use?

thanks,

KC

Before applying anything to the windings, try moving individual windings to see if you can stop the noise.

You don't want to cover the entire transformer with epoxy (or any other fixative) so you need to try to determine which windings are causing the noise. Then you can apply epoxy only to the point where it's needed. If you can simply move the windings to stop the noise, that would be the best solution.

another less permanent material than epoxy would be rtv silicon. Ends up like bathroom caulk consistency when done curing. I concur with putting some goo on it. The real deal is to lacquer the inductor(same material they would use from the factory I think). I had a few rockford fosgate amplifiers play the music signal out of vibrating the inductor.

I think I found it. Touching many of the windings merely changed the tone but I did find one that would make it go away and slightly bent it until the noise stopped. In the process of doing this I could see where some enamel was applied to this winding and many of the smaller ones beneath it. I'm going to let the amp sit in the cold overnight since the cold temps seem to be connected to the noise popping up. If I still have noise in the morning I will move the winding a RCH more.

thanks again!

KC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.