Amplifier for MTX Jackhammer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im thinking of getting a MTX jackhammer (Yes I know they cost loads), So I was wondering what Amp I would need.. Would a Kicker warhorse do it? (They need like 8 batterys though), Any cheap amplifiers I can stack and use less batterys as possible? Or shall I just settle with a Kicker Solo X 18"?

Ouch,

The Jackhammer is a bit of a joke. It is so huge and heavy and overpriced. The thing is, you can only get so much out of that cone area in a vehicle. The amount of money and power you will pour into it gives your friends great shock value, but not performance.

The Solo X 18 will give you a lot more for your money, but is still a huge investment.

As with most every question posed about subs and cars, the standard questions should apply. What vehicle, how much room, what goals, budget?

Depending on what you are after, you may find your money better spent on something you hadn't considered. Now if you just want to compensate for something, there are many ways to waste thousands of dollars, lol.

Give us an update on what you are after and see what falls out.

Take care,
Robert

JLH said:
Nah! Just plug it directly into a 240VAC wall outlet. It would be just about as musical with a wall outlet as it would be with an amplifier. :smash:

Actually, this woofer would be fine plugged directly into a 240VAC wall outlet. I don't know for how long, but it would be fine according to the specs, using dual 4 ohms coil wired in series. That would be 7200W RMS, close to the 6000W RMS spec.

It would be a great way to hear loud 60 Hz bass. An amplifier wouldn't produce a better 60 Hz sinewave.

aznboi3644 said:
please tell me you are kidding...the JackHammer is a piece of crap that is thousands of dollars overpriced.

You can get better performance with a 15 or 18 inch subwoofer
Why do people say things like this? Have you ever "Personally" tried one? Heard one? I haven't, and really can't make an assumption. I have heard for years about how the 32-Inch Clarion is a horrible sounding subwoofer, but in reality, if you do the correct box size, it is extremely impressive. Same goes for the 34-Inch Audiobahn. It really moves a ton of air. Not for SQ, but not a piece of crap either. I am very happy with both of them. Jackhammer is next on my list of big subs to buy. Most of the installs I see where people have put the giant subs in something, the box is too small. Which would make it sound bad. Put the Jackhammer in the proper sized box, then make your opinions. If you don't have one, installed one, or heard one in a proper sized box, I really don't really see why you could say bad things about a product...

i remember years ago when 15 inch subwoofers or larger would routinely be described as sloppy or muddy compared to their smaller counterparts.I think the big issue was enclosure design.I'm sure we've all heard a pair of tens or twelves that have sounded like complete garbage. I've also heard quite a few decent quality 15s that when enclosed properly sounded amazing.Its all in the install. I myself at one point used a pair of 24 inch subs in a car.They were no sound q woofer but definitely weren't unpleasent to listen to.Plus they would hit lows you just couldn't touch with a standard sub. The Jackhammer is really expensive,way out of reach for most people.And yes it would be a pain to integrate into your install but if you have the means to do it and do it right I'd go for it.If its something you wanted to do for yourself then don't let people talk you out of it.Just don't half *** it otherwise you'll be disappointed with your results.

I would sum this situation up as...

-don't try and run it with a cheapo wimpy amp that can't feed it what it needs
-don't run a couple of sets of 6.5" mids with this monster, you will need something more to fill the gap
-you will need mucho sound deadening material
-don't cheap out on your alternator and wiring setup, lol

spooney said:
I myself at one point used a pair of 24 inch subs in a car.They were no sound q woofer but definitely weren't unpleasent to listen to.Plus they would hit lows you just couldn't touch with a standard sub.

That is the point. That is what I like about the larger subs. Only problem is that there is not much to choose from. AB-34, Clarion-32, EV-30 and Fostex-32. That is about it for subs 30 inches and up. They will go super low. Not for SQ, Not for SPL, Just LOW...

BTW, which 24's did you run? Fane? or ?

Here is a youtube video I did testing the 34 inch in my car project last month. (far,far, from finished) Not much of a video since I only had a camera that day. It sure does make the car breathe. Too bad the camera doesn't show it well. Will get some better videos up when I get further along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LySlJzsx4BE

I was sponsored several years ago by a small company called Hurricane Sound Labs for db drag competition. The 24 inch subs I used had the Hurricane label but they were actually made by George Wu who owns(or at least used to) Atomic Loudspeakers. They were kind of an experimental sub that never made it off the ground floor.They just needed way more space than most cars could afford to give up.Even with what seemed like a small 300 ounce magnet they were very awkward to mount to say the least.I really need to find the picture of them mounted and post it.I had them in approximately 7 cubes ported per speaker.Unsure of the tuning but it was probably high as it was geared towards spl.I managed a 156.1 db at the spring break nationals and then decided to go back to my 15's as I was pulling better numbers with them.The space I had was just better suited for the 15's

I have done installs with the 32" clarion, the 34" audiobahn, several with the old 24" wharfdales and one with the 30" EV. And although I didn't do the install i had the opportunity to see a Jackhammer in a very well built enclosure in the back of an Escalade. Of all of these big subs, the best sounding were the EV's. The worst was the Jackhammer. The difference was about 20 times as much power on the Jackhammer and a LOT more money tied up. Don 't get me wrong, it didn't sound terrible, but for the money tied up in the project, the guy could have gotten a lot more sound. Both SPL and SQ could have been far better with other equipment. It had WOW :bigeyes: factor for sure but it just wasn't as impressive as the wharfdales or the other big subs.

The Clarion was one clean sounding driver clear down into the teens. It was in a huge refrigerator sized box designed by clarion to fit in the back of an expedition we did. No back seat or third row in that monster! We had 4 12" drivers to fill the gap and then a wall of 8" midbass on either side of the enclosure. Sound Q was actually pretty good.

The Audiobahn was much the same as the video above. Loud and Low. Not a drag race winner and not a sq queen, but low and neat.

The EVs are a different story. We used those in a blazer that did well all around. SQ was sufficient enough for almost anything and SPL was high 140s with only two. It wouldn't get down to 20hz very well, but it was still very solid.

I like the big woofs. They are fun and get looks from everyone around. My only complaint with the Jackhammer is it's price tag and the power it needs.

If I was going to build something like this again, I would probably go with some really good 18's and do multiple subs in a cool enclosure. Make a statement and get my money's worth all at the same time.

Of course this comes from the guy who put 64 12" woofers in a van when he was 15 lol.

Take care,
Robert

Sounds like I need to get back on the hunt for the EV's again. I stopped looking when I came across a few Clarion's. IMO, the Clarion 32 is the most efficient woofer I have come across of ANY size. Amazing sound with only 220 W going to it. I have one new in the box, and one hooked up as my shop subwoofer. (box size 42x22x22 inches) It knocks things off the shelf, moves things in my shop, and my neighbors hate it. Moves a ton of air and it is only hooked up to a Zapco 151 3-piece amplifier (220w). Drops lower than any other speaker I know of with very little power. The Audiobahn 34 falls into the same category as the Jackhammer. You have to run a ton of power to it. I tried it out with a Zapco 151, and I think I had more sound out of a 5" midrange on radio power. Just requires a ton of power to make it move. I tried it on my big LP amp, and it still didn't have the sound like it should. So I went with a US Amps VLX 400 (the 4ft 4kw+ class AB amp). I got some serious sound out of it then. Still think it needs more power though.
Overall, I am glad to hear that you have tried all of the big subs. Haven't met anyone who has. Now I guess I will start on the EV search again. Just can't get enough of the LOW, LOW, bass from a regular sub. I know that some of you will disagree. But hear one of the Clarion's in a proper box, and there is just nothing out there that sounds like it. Low bass that just shakes your bones. And only requires 200-300wrms. Thanks for the info...

The clarion reminded me of the EVs by how efficient it was. It actually didn't like being overdriven. With only 200 or 300 watts it would easily put out 20 hz at listening levels. The EV's actually needed a hair more power. We ran the clarion off of a clarion amp. The EV's I was running off of an old PPI art series 600.2

I haven't seen an EV in a long time. This was just after Wayne had taken his out of the hearse and put the MTXs in there.

If you really like the low, low sounds those things produced. The Wharfdale 24"ers were awesome. We put a pair in the back of a station wagon in 6 cu ft per with some long ports (don't remember exactly atm) and those things were getting into the teens with ease. Ran a pair of PPI 1200.2s to those. Again, long ago, back when the art series amps had fins.

I loved that surfboard VLX amp. Cotton had a bunch of those in his truck a long time ago. I think he was running JLs the last time I saw him in action.

I think the Clarion we had was in an irregular shaped box somewhere around 12 cu ft. I remember it was over 50" wide and 40" tall and something like 40" deep. It was an absolute monster that had to be built into the SUV. Those were fun days lol

Vintage Zapco, Fosgate, and US Amps? You been hanging around on Wayne's site much? I was a big push for the old Orion HCCA and GS series back in those days. The shop I worked with was big on JL and PPI. I sold the Fosgates for a long time. I even had a pair of Power 1000s. Wish I still had some of that stuff. Remember the "waffle irons" my faves lol.
Take care,
Robert

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.