Old School Alpine repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an old Alpine 3543 that plays at low level, but when turned up it shuts of and on and the chicklet turns orange. I opened her up to check for bad transistors and found none, but the toriod is singing. I used the old listening through a screwdriver trick and it is definatly the toroid. Anyone up to repairing this? It is just a little more than I am willing to jump into with my meager repair experience. This is one I would like done right. 43's are kinda hard to find...

Are you sure you are not running too low of an ohm load on it? Also check the ground to car, a lack of power will do that often around 10v. You can put a meter on the amp terminals and see what it goes to when you crank it up....or sometimes you can run it for a little bit and find the hot spot in your power wiring. Often the power light will dim to the music a lot if not enough power, before it shuts down. Also a short in the speaker wires to the car might, if small, cause it to protect and a bad sub can do the same thing.

Amp is not in a car and has no load or music playing to it.

When it was in car, it would play low level and shut off at anything above clock radio volume. Was running 4 ohm stereo

On test bench with no load or input, power supply makes noise. It puts an obvious load on power supply and shuts off radio hooked to same power supply.

I have not had a chance to check resistors. Maybe this weekend.

Sorry to hijack my own thread, but my wife bought me an old HK CA260 for Christmas and it came in today. I put it on the test bench and checked her out. DAMN! No output to the right channel! Spaeker goes to full excursion and stays. 2.33 volts dc across right +/- terminal... Any ideas. If it is a simple fix, I would really like to keep it. I have ALWAYS wanted one of these.:bawling:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.