Old School Alpine repair - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2008, 02:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Old School Alpine repair

I have an old Alpine 3543 that plays at low level, but when turned up it shuts of and on and the chicklet turns orange. I opened her up to check for bad transistors and found none, but the toriod is singing. I used the old listening through a screwdriver trick and it is definatly the toroid. Anyone up to repairing this? It is just a little more than I am willing to jump into with my meager repair experience. This is one I would like done right. 43's are kinda hard to find...
Old 15th December 2008, 02:15 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Check for bad solder joints on the Emitter Resistors.
Old 15th December 2008, 03:09 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Which are... Where? :-)

My repair experience boils down to replacing output transistors, bias resistors and powersupply diodes. That's about it.
Old 15th December 2008, 01:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Near the output transistors, are there any white rectangular resistors with 3 legs on them? They stand vertically off of the board.
Old 19th December 2008, 04:41 AM   #5
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

Are you sure you are not running too low of an ohm load on it? Also check the ground to car, a lack of power will do that often around 10v. You can put a meter on the amp terminals and see what it goes to when you crank it up....or sometimes you can run it for a little bit and find the hot spot in your power wiring. Often the power light will dim to the music a lot if not enough power, before it shuts down. Also a short in the speaker wires to the car might, if small, cause it to protect and a bad sub can do the same thing.
Old 19th December 2008, 04:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Amp is not in a car and has no load or music playing to it.

When it was in car, it would play low level and shut off at anything above clock radio volume. Was running 4 ohm stereo

On test bench with no load or input, power supply makes noise. It puts an obvious load on power supply and shuts off radio hooked to same power supply.

I have not had a chance to check resistors. Maybe this weekend.
Old 19th December 2008, 08:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

If you can't find bad transistors or other things, guess I'd pull the rectifiers and see if the fault is in the amp or PS. Otherwise you can test the pins on the PS IC; find what is making it protect.
Old 20th December 2008, 06:03 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Sorry to hijack my own thread, but my wife bought me an old HK CA260 for Christmas and it came in today. I put it on the test bench and checked her out. DAMN! No output to the right channel! Spaeker goes to full excursion and stays. 2.33 volts dc across right +/- terminal... Any ideas. If it is a simple fix, I would really like to keep it. I have ALWAYS wanted one of these.
Old 20th December 2008, 11:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

You have to get down to the output transistors and see if one is shorted. It is a pain to work on compared to newer amps. When I get mine fixed I also will see how great they are...or not. The PS is acting strange in mine.
Old 21st December 2008, 12:38 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

If you need the service manual for the CA260, email me.

babin_perry@yahoo.com

Hide this!Advertise here!