Mounting amps on the Sub box.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Around here the fastest way to kill a amp is to mount it to a sub box, But I am quoting a few amp dealers when i say this....I love it when folks mount there amps on there sub box. I repair amps lol lol lol
It's all up to you and how well you want to care about your equipment. IMO with the bass most folks shoot for in there trunk of there car it pretty much doesn't matter as the shock damage done will be about the same. On cheaply made amps it happens much faster, then the higher quality ones...But it still happens to be bad for most of them in most cases...:)

Nothing likes to get hammered on a constant basis, and that's pretty much whats going to happen to it box mounted or not. It just might be a bit faster box mounted. The damage is usually apparent as broken leads on components and sheared off cap leads and the such including broken wires on Toroid's and what not....Good luck...

Sometimes it's the only option...Like I know for myself it is...I never had any issues though. I have 2 amps and my cap all on the back of the box because it's the only real way I could hide it in the trunk from people when I would open it up to load groceries in it. I also have a black towel pulled over the front of the box to to cover it up as well...

Sometimes you just don't have a choice...

I currently have one amp mounted on my sub box in the 1997 Civic. I have mounted amplifiers this way before and have not experienced any ill results from doing so.

Sadly, in Louisiana at least, the crappy highways are likely to kill your amplifier way before the vibrations of them being mounted on the subwoofer enclosure will. I swear, this has to be one of the only states where I have seen the state highway and city maintenance departments make things WORSE when they patch pot holes.

We mount them on boxes sometimes, when there are no other good locations, or when the customer doesn't want to pay for some kind of mounting rack. The only amp I can recall being damaged on the box was a cheapo alpine mrp we used to sell and they were crappy anyway so that didn't help, lol. Some thinner boxes will be more likely to shake the amp to death and crack solder connections. One customer came in with his cadence amp mounted hanging from the rear deck and the case actually cracked under its own weight and from vibration. You don't want to mount them to loose floppy thin panels if possible.

0ldSch00lf00l said:

Sadly, in Louisiana at least, the crappy highways are likely to kill your amplifier way before the vibrations of them being mounted on the subwoofer enclosure will. I swear, this has to be one of the only states where I have seen the state highway and city maintenance departments make things WORSE when they patch pot holes.
LOL, you never been to MI ;)

I would not recommend it, but is true that a good amp will hold up better. Many cheap amps don't even fasten the board in the amp, it just vibrates. I just fixed a cheap one I swear it was dropped and broke a couple of things. You might be able to beef up that part of the box, mount it near a corner that is stronger, mount the box down too. That might help some. I've done it, in fact mine is on an IB baffle right now. There is a big brace right under it but I had it pumping one day and the roof of the car shakes...not much was not vibrating and of course the amp was too. I hardly play it that loud, going to change setup soon also and dump that amp....but still I don't like to abuse equipment. It is mounted on cork isolators, but doubt it helps that much.

I've never worried about it. I usually stick a couple rubber washers/grommets on either side of the amp mounting flange (rubber|amp|rubber|box) to help dampen some of the vibration,it also leaves a small gap for ventilation.
The boxes they've been mounted to were big and heavy,with thick panels. I'd imagine a thin enclosure would vibrate/flex a lot and could cause problems.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.