class A/B vs class D amps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2008, 12:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default class A/B vs class D amps

Hi,

My local shop have a class D amp at a good price and the spec. of the amp is perfect for my needs.

Otoh, It , Being a class D, I'm worried that it might not offer the ultimate in SQ compared to a good quality class AB amp.

Do you have any experience with fullrange class D amp, Can you notice the difference in SQ between it and class AB?

In particular, this is the amp I'm talking about, A DLS AMP . A 4x100wrms class D amp.

Are DLS branded amps good?

Thanks.
Old 8th December 2008, 01:52 PM   #2
amc32 is offline amc32  United States
diyAudio Member

Havent tried the DLS D class fullrange. I'm sure its a cookie-cutter korean based. Some Korean's do make good cookies (JL, DLS A Series)

I have used the Swiss Audio 6-channel full-range Class D amplifier. Not bad Power,before it self-destructed. Sound Q. was sub-par.

And sub-par SQ when compared to class AB,is what I hear of other manufactures. (Alpine)

Go big or go home......
Old 8th December 2008, 08:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

One of my friends has the famous Alpine PDX series in his Civic and he has the same type R woofer that I have up front. My Linear Power 1502IQ seems to give me a much better midbass response than his PDX does to the same speaker (in different vehicles).

Granted, it could be another setup issue that is causing the difference between his vehicle and my vehicle. Just based on what I heard from his PDX, I noticed immediately that something was missing and I was not impressed with its ''sound'' or lack thereof in the midbass area! I was impressed by the PDX's small size though.

OTOH, I can't tell the difference between a Class A/B amp on a subwoofer and a Class D. I've performed this experiment with my own equipment and came to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter which amp to go with on subs. May as well go with the more efficient one out of the two
Old 9th December 2008, 03:59 AM   #4
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

I always find LP and some other old amps have better bass/midbass sound. Lots of new amps seem cold/flat. But at least today you have all kinds of EQs to change that, or so people tell me. I have a 16 band EQ and I still don't like it but now is pretty cold to be swapping amps.

I agree with subs, I always used whatever sub amp and rarely noted a sonic quality difference. Heck even at 10% distortion many people can't hear that in subs....besides you can get a huge sub amp for peanuts these days so distortion should not be an issue. I typically try to run a class D on subs over about 3-500 rms, for 12v power issues. You can get a lot of noise with a single 4ga power wire if you do class D on subs. I have an Arc full range class T but not run it yet.
Old 9th December 2008, 04:37 AM   #5
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Clean sub amps are easier to build (you need 500hz BW instead of 100khz) Most consumer home subs have built in Class D power and some sound great.
Old 9th December 2008, 11:13 AM   #6
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
State of the art full-range class-D is way better than many Chinese, Korean, etc.. car-audio amplifiers which are actually ancient class B circuits and suffer from crossover distortion.

However, the full range class-D circuits found on car-audio amplifiers may not be as good.
Old 9th December 2008, 12:06 PM   #7
Flyin11 is offline Flyin11  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 0ldSch00lf00l
One of my friends has the famous Alpine PDX series in his Civic and he has the same type R woofer that I have up front. My Linear Power 1502IQ seems to give me a much better midbass response than his PDX does to the same speaker (in different vehicles).

Granted, it could be another setup issue that is causing the difference between his vehicle and my vehicle. Just based on what I heard from his PDX, I noticed immediately that something was missing and I was not impressed with its ''sound'' or lack thereof in the midbass area! I was impressed by the PDX's small size though.
Yeah, the thing I noticed about those PDX amps when I was looking at them was that they didn't have any bass boost controls...or atleast the 600.1 didn't. So, you couldn't add some bass to the sound which was something that I pretty much needed so I passed on it (Not to mention the price was a factor as well..LOL). That could be where he was missing some of his mid bass sound from though...

The Class D amps run a lot cooler and draw less amperage than your typical A/B amp. A lot of people gave me advice of this board on this So, you could run more wattage and power to your subs and it wouldn't put hardly as much drain on your electrical system and you get the same effect. A/B amps have good sound but I think the only way to get the best of both worlds is if you got a Class BD amplifier which combines the sound of a A/B amp and the efficiency of a class D. They are very expensive though form what I have seen Class D amps are usually the way to go though
Old 9th December 2008, 12:14 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I understand that most midpriced and lowpriced amps are made in Taiwan , Korea and China, But Arent they designed by the Original brands like Jbl, Dls, infinity and so on, I've seen their internals in Ampguts website LINK , And most of them uses metal foil resistors, some uses expensive sealed/solid caps, and all branded amps uses transistors from reputable makers. Isnt the circuit design more important in building class D amps than, whether whos hands and what country that built them, regarding SQ?

Thanks.
Old 9th December 2008, 12:16 PM   #9
djQUAN is offline djQUAN  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to djQUAN Send a message via Yahoo to djQUAN
I remember back then when I switched from a mono P68 driving two 12" JBL's in sealed boxes to a 41Hz amp2. the bass went a little loose. right now I have a kicker mono amp driving two DD 8's in a ported box and the bass is quite good. pretty much the tightness of my old 12's but with much more bottom end.
Old 9th December 2008, 01:41 PM   #10
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
Quote:
Originally posted by marchel
I understand that most midpriced and lowpriced amps are made in Taiwan , Korea and China, But Arent they designed by the Original brands like Jbl, Dls, infinity and so on, I've seen their internals in Ampguts website LINK , And most of them uses metal foil resistors, some uses expensive sealed/solid caps, and all branded amps uses transistors from reputable makers. Isnt the circuit design more important in building class D amps than, whether whos hands and what country that built them, regarding SQ?

Thanks.
No, most amplifiers are designed by the companies who manufacture them. The "original" brand only picks the heatsink profile, colours, etc... If you look carefully, you will find that amplifiers from different brands have very similar internals (because they were designed and built by the same company).

Full range class-D technology is usually bought from well-known third-party companies too who have developed specific solutions, but this is always better than allowing inexperienced people to design it.

I did my own 2x150W implementation of UcD powered from 12V. See the following thread, it contains several pictures of the design and prototype (pictures start at page 2):

Cool and small 2x150W class D full-range car amplifier

Some of these amplifiers are installed in motorbikes with weak electrical systems and very limited space, and in terms of size and loudness/power consumption they outperform almost any car audio product in the market. Sound has no apparent flaws.

Hide this!Advertise here!