Foam or rubber, environment independent? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2008, 07:40 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Foam or rubber, environment independent?

So, I just would like to hear if there aught to be any difference of the suitability of the two kinds of surrounds, rubber and foam depending on the climate factor? Where I live, we sometimes have winter, sever winters, and my concern is if the well below freezing would influence the behaviour of the different surrounds? And if there are better rubber and foams as well, which would they be?
Old 8th December 2008, 05:18 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

new foam technology is good.

Hell I had a couple old school JL Audio 12W6's....dual 6ohm ones before the new styles. Simple stamped basket, poly cone, and foam surround.

Well one blew...so I tossed it outside behind my garage...it was there for about two full years...I live in southern indiana. The weather here is everything.

Even after two years of rain, sleet, snow, hail, temperatures ranging from the teens up to 110 degrees Fahrenheit...the surround was still pliable and tough...I tried to push my finger through it and it just kept stretching...surprised the hell out of me.
Old 9th December 2008, 11:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aznboi3644
new foam technology is good.

Hell I had a couple old school JL Audio 12W6's....dual 6ohm ones before the new styles. Simple stamped basket, poly cone, and foam surround.

Well one blew...so I tossed it outside behind my garage...it was there for about two full years...I live in southern indiana. The weather here is everything.

Even after two years of rain, sleet, snow, hail, temperatures ranging from the teens up to 110 degrees Fahrenheit...the surround was still pliable and tough...I tried to push my finger through it and it just kept stretching...surprised the hell out of me.
Sounds great, I guess it is just a question of sorting out the good stuff from the bad, then all are not likely to be equal.

I was also thinking in terms of rubber and low temperatures, I thought at least some rubber varieties got stiff when cold?
Old 10th December 2008, 12:06 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

IMO rubber has always lasted longer and is stronger than foam. It's just more dense if you get the right stuff. Also it holds air in better.

Hide this!Advertise here!