crazy DVC question, has this been done??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone heard of, or know the effect of building a sub (or other speaker) that uses its second coil hard mounted on the top plate (not moving) and ran 180 degrees out.

The intent is to have the VC inside a second coil that splits the polarity of the magnetic field generated by the magnet and works as a push pull. Or to have 3 coils of different sizes and the VC would go between the outside and inside coil (both inside and outside would be 180 out and not moving)

I am not saying this would work well....I am only wondering what it would do.

I thought of doing that in hs. Basically you could just use two transistors, one for each coil. Wire their inputs for each to recieve the bottom or top half of the adio signal. They could be powered with straight 12v. Would be interesting to use two high current mosfets... you could drive them directly with preamp through a couple of caps. But how would you get two opposite sides of the wave? Dual op amp maybe?

Yea the magnet less woofer (for my example I mentioned retaining the magnet, but this is basically what I am talking about).

Also I have this idea of a “mechanical amplifier” that could be used for low HZ.

It would use a vacuum sealed A/B style switch (I don’t know if this is common to call this an A/B switch but I am talking about a “forward-reverse” switch), driven from a motor structure similar to a voice coil (as apposed to driving a diaphragm it would move the contacts of the switching setup) or any other method for using a wave to drive a transducer to physically move the A/B contacts. The input of the AB contacts would be a DC source (potentially huge amounts of current) The volume would be controlled by a DC variac.

It is my intent to move a woofer, and I am still toying with the idea of building another giant sub (I built a square 3’X5’ with 12” excursion). It would seem to me that this mechanical amplifier would allow me to put massive amounts of voltage into the switcher and have it only limited to the amount of current the contact would handle.

I know Im going off on some crazy S#$T but at least in my head it would work.

-JH

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.