Update on Audiobahn 34 Inch Subwoofer Install

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finally, I got it installed. I am updating my project on this site and the MobileDIY forum. If you haven't seen my previous posts, I have been working on a project for a long time. I have been wanting to see what a 34-inch / 211-LB Audiobahn Subwoofer would do in a tiny car. Will be ready to test soon. Enjoy the pics...

MORE PICS HERE --- http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg278/tomtomjr/1972 Honda Z600 Car/

PB263417.jpg

PB263419.jpg

PB263420.jpg

PB263421.jpg

Reminds me of the time I took a friend's Pantera out for a spin without the cowl in place.

The big, howling 351 Cleveland was just behind the seat, with pulleys and belts churning away, just waiting for a bad shift to toss my right elbow into it's teeth.

That 34" has the same look on it's face. Are you feeling lucky, tomtomjr?

I hope there were no injuries while wrestling the beast into the car.

Poor little Honda...

definitely very cool.Would love to see and hear this thing in person.I used to compete in db drag about seven years ago with a small company named hurricane soundlabs whose products were actually made by atomic loudspeakers.They had a pair of 24 inch subs that they let me install in my car to experiment with. definitely very loud but just couldn't hit a good number on the mic.I'll have to dig up the pic and post it.Awesome ride tomtom

tsmith1315 said:
I hope there were no injuries while wrestling the beast into the car. Poor little Honda...

My back hurts really bad. Nobody lost a finger or anything. It was by far the hardest to install speaker ever. Several thousand speakers over the years, and this was by far the hardest. All 3 of us were completely worn out. I was worried about the sub falling into the hole and taking a finger or two off. Or the sub breaking out the back side and knocking someones head into the back floor. Would suck either way. But we are all ok. Was a real workout.

spooney said:
definitely very cool.Would love to see and hear this thing in person.I used to compete in db drag about seven years ago with a small company named hurricane soundlabs whose products were actually made by atomic loudspeakers.They had a pair of 24 inch subs that they let me install in my car to experiment with. definitely very loud but just couldn't hit a good number on the mic.I'll have to dig up the pic and post it.Awesome ride tomtom

I remember the Fane 24's and they were neat. Wayne Harris had some back in the early car audio days. Drew Luther had some also. I never played much with them. There was a 21 I got to play with for a little while. I think the brand was called American Pro. Big sub. But nothing compared to this one. I have a pair of the Clarion 32 inch subs and they work great. If this one doesn't work out, I know for sure I can get a Clarion 32-inch to work. And make it sound good. Just can't put more than about 300WRMS on them. (1000 peak) ...

I hooked it up for a few minutes tonight on a Harrison Labs 400W amp. Sounded pretty good. Way better than what I was expecting. I just couldn't wait any longer to at least test it. This is not how I am leaving it though. I have the facing done though, and that is the hardest part. I can try several different types of ports and some other types of enclosure mods now. Will keep it updated... Here is a pic with one seat in. I need to recover the seats and redo the carpet too. Will be one of the last parts of the install...

PB273446.jpg

My back hurts really bad. Nobody lost a finger or anything. It was by far the hardest to install speaker ever. Several thousand speakers over the years, and this was by far the hardest. All 3 of us were completely worn out. I was worried about the sub falling into the hole and taking a finger or two off. Or the sub breaking out the back side and knocking someones head into the back floor. Would suck either way. But we are all ok. Was a real workout. I remember the Fane 24's and they were neat. Wayne Harris had some back in the early car audio days. Drew Luther had some also. I never played much with them. There was a 21 I got to play with for a little while. I think the brand was called American Pro. Big sub. But nothing compared to this one. I have a pair of the Clarion 32 inch subs and they work great. If this one doesn't work out, I know for sure I can get a Clarion 32-inch to work. And make it sound good. Just can't put more than about 300WRMS on them. (1000 peak) ... I hooked it up for a few minutes tonight on a Harrison Labs 400W amp. Sounded pretty good. Way better than what I was expecting. I just couldn't wait any longer to at least test it. This is not how I am leaving it though. I have the facing done though, and that is the hardest part. I can try several different types of ports and some other types of enclosure mods now.

Will keep it updated... Here is a pic with one seat in.

I need to recover the seats and redo the carpet too. Will be one of the last parts of the install...
PB273446.jpg

Hi there tt jr: How did it sound at the projects conclusion? ...regards, Michael

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.