focal vs mbquart separates.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI ,

I'm looking for a pair of 6.5" separates for my car. And my choices came down to 2 brands, Focal and Mbquart, My price range is between $120- and $350- . The Focal generally uses woven composite coned midbases, while the MBquart generally uses plastic coned midbasses. Both uses metal tweeters.

In your experience which brand have better SQ within the same price bracket of their product range?

I have experienced Mbquart and I think they sound very good, Will the Focal be better on the same price bracket?

Can you describe the general difference in sound between the 2 brands.

Thank you

Look For Used

If $300 is your budget, you can do quite nicely! I've seen the original MB Quart Q-Series (215.61 & 218.61) for under $200 in clean condition. Originally $800, they are well worth the money. Focal 165K2 (not 165K2P) can also be found for short money and are great speakers. Does one sound better than the other? I believe it is more person preference than one being overtly "better". You should try and listen to them first otherwise you may regret your purchase of either.

You're in a pickle... :) The MB Quart tweeters are much better than the Focals, IMO. And the Focal midbass drivers are far better than the MB Quarts, again, IMO.

In general, these are my assertions:
Focal tweeters are very bland and lack a lot of detail in comparison to the MB Quarts.
Focal Polyglass have great midbass, but are a bit weak in the mids compared to the K series. The K series I think lacks definition in the midbass, comparatively. Both K and Polyglass series provide better clarity (less breakup) than the MB quarts in the mids, but in the upper mids, the MB quarts may have an advantage over the Polyglass. But, the advantages of the Focals in the low end are so far above the MB Quarts, I'd take them in a heartbeat over Quarts.

You could get even the Polyglass 165 series for $175 or so pretty easily on eBay, especially if you can get a used pair. The MB Quart tweeters I've seen commonly for as low as $40/pair when people part out component sets. I prefer the metal domes from Quart.

To be clear, I don't advise the Access series from Focal.

Placement and preference are everything. These are just my assertions. Wishing you luck...

Thanks,

You're right on not advising on the 165 access, I saw the freq. res. of the raw driver on thier website, There is a break up mode starting around 5khz, But from looking at the picture of the XO, I dont think there is a notch filter included and to make matters worst the XO freq. is set around 4khz, I would surely here the break up mode of the speaker in this situation.

The polyglas have smoother response and milder breakup mode , So it should have better SQ and also the reason it is more expensive. But the Xmax of the woofer is only 2mm.

I've used an MB quart seps before and you're right , the tweeter have plenty of details certainly above average. But the midbass lack warmth. But i was using a mid priced Mb quart that time, And now I can afford the higher priced ones, The premium series, The ones with metal phase plug on the woofer. and with parabolic tweets. Will these have better midbass warmth over the midpriced mbquarts of years passed?

I'll be using them with a sub.

Thanks.

Well, the Focal motor design allows for cleaner sounding overexcursion than a "normal" one. Obviously, the XO point and power output levels are a huge factor in excursion... And depending on the abilities (or lack there of) of your subwoofer to carry midbass properly to the midbass drivers and match well, that's something only you can know.

I am not too familiar (in memory) with the premium lines from Quart - just remember not being that impressed. It's my recollection that they had some awkward breakup - no necessarily a lot of it, just sounded weird and distasteful to my ears. I hope that makes sense.

But, if you're willing to perhaps apply a notch filter and make your own XO's, then maybe the premium Quarts would serve you better. I'm surprised they're within your budget though :confused:

I've been incredibly happy with the car audio tweeters from Vifa/Logic/Peerless/DST/whatever the heck their name is now. I use them with a pair of the 4ohm 7" old PL line from Vifa. The midbass is a bit dry compared to say the Focals, but the natural and clean mids all the way up make up for it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.