Help finding correct amp plus wiring dilema.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My buddy has 3 Rocford HE2's 10 inch found here http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/news/templates/template.asp?articleid=64&zoneid=3 . They are in a single sealed box. He is looking for an amp. He doesn't know much about this kind of stuff and I know my fare share but am no expert.

He tells me the guy he bought them from said that he had a "1000 watt 2 channel @ 4 ohm amp" on this setup. That to me doesn't make sense. Maybe he is misunderstanding his friend or his friend doens't know what he is talking about or I don't know what I'm talking about. I would see this as a possilbe 1000 watt amp maybe @ 1 ohm, 500 @ 2 ohm, 250 @4 ohm. Would that be correct. It was a class D amp that Rockford made around the time these speakers were made which I beleive was around 1993.

Anyway's all that aside he wants me to find him a good amp online (meaning bargain). We all know what kind of bargains you can find if you know where to look, which I do.

The only thing we are trying to figure first off is how many watts @ how many ohms should we be feeding this beastly setup. They are DVC 4 ohm 400 RMS\800 max. I went over there today and put a multimeter on it. I did it several times, theres is one input on the box. My MM read 2.8 ohm everytime. Which according to the JL Audio wiring diagrams, 3 DVC 4 ohm subs in Series\Parrelel ends up being 2.67 ohm. So I guess this is pretty close to right. Does this all make sense to you. I don't want to tell him to get a certain wattage amp at 4 ohm just to find out the amp sees 2 ohm and it roughly doubles the output and smokes his ****.

So any recomendtaions of wattage @ ohm for this?

Sorry so long
Thanks Dono:D

ben04srt said:
Fosgate didn"t make a class d in 1993 that i know of .

Sounds like any amp of 1000 watts or so rms at 1 ohm or 2 ohm would work.
All kinds of cheap d class amps on the web .

These are 400 watt RMS subs why would I run a 1000 @ 1 ohm if they are basically 2.8 ohm final load? Not saying you are wrong just trying to understand this better.

And on the date not sure if it was 93 or not I just seem to remember that when researching the sub.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.