slobaric sub, kicker amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a ford f150 supercrew that I am putting a sub in. I have a 8 inch dual voice coil solobaric 4ohm L7. The factory six disc in-dash cd changer is staying in. I have hooked up an RCA pack to the radio. The amp is a kicker zx750.1 mono. I made the box as big as I could because the space inside for it was so small. It turned out to about .82 cubic feet. The speaker only calls for .75 as a max on a sealed enclosure. The speaker, when turned up, doesn't sound all that great. When turned up real loud it wants to start making a metal vibrating sound, almost popping. Do I need to port the box??? Is it too much airspace to provide the proper resistance in a sealed enclosure??? The amp is more than strong enough to push the speaker., but is it the wrong one??? Also, where should the settings be on the RCA pack I installed on the back of the radio???

Thanks -Mark

The box is not the problem. You could have a box 10 cu/ft sealed or ported it doesn't really matter unless the sub has a particularly high or low 'Q'.

The box isn't your issue, I believe. It's somewhere in your connections. Also, one 8" driver doesn't have enough cone area for huge bass but it still should be quite loud.

I had a mtx 10 in .87cf that sounded pretty good, I'd go with larger driver if known to work in your cf and you can fit it. But if you have the 8 sure try phase change and aim another direction if you can. Metallic sounds usually mean clipping or bottoming of the sub. You ought to get the lowest response out of it with that box size a hair big, but it may reduce power handling a little from its ratings....if xmax is exceeded. Ported will give more but guessing you would need larger box to get it to work well. An 8 is going to struggle to get really low like under 35hz, it will not have the SPL there. At 50Hz it should do ok, get somewhat loud.

Amp seems plenty big for an 8 but should work fine long as you don't over drive it. You can reduce the volume of the box to recommended by putting wood blocks or something inside it (make sure they can't rattle), may help it take more power. Some poly batting in the box might make it sound a little better too you'll have to try those things. You should be able to guess when it hits xmax by looking at it/listening to it, set your gain there with stereo loud as you listen to it. That will get you close to where it should be anyway. Most subs don't want to get louder once they get near xmax.

To check phase set it to about same volume as rest of speakers, turn sub on/off and if it does not make more bass on, change phase and try it again. Or just listen and swap the wires like Mike says. If you have a crossover on the mids set it really low for this and just play it at a lower normal volume with good bass music. You can check the mids too there should be more bass with both sides than with one. A test tone works good long as it is a frequency both subs and mid play though the crossover. In other words each additional speaker should add to the bass when you listen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.