hifonics zeus xi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking at the pwm board in this amp again while putting it back together. looks like someone put in a new timing cap for the 494 they put in a 1pf cap marked 102 its connected to pin 5 of the 494. Wondering if this value isnt right would it have anything to do with the left channel working and the right channel dead.

Just wondering before i go putting this thing back together and being frustrated when and if it doesnt work

1-0 and two zeros in picofarads = 1000pf

That's a relatively common value for the power supply timing capacitor. If that was the problem, the symptoms would have likely been failing power supply FETs. It couldn't cause a dead channel unless there were two power supplies (one for each channel) and they had their own power supply driver IC.

Ok think i finally found one last problem with this amp.
I found a bad solder connection on the speaker terminal block .
So theres no connection between the terminal block and the rigt channel.
But as my luck would have it my desoldering gun took a crap heating element went bad. so when i get the new one ill finish putting this thing together and let you know

Thanks again

It's generally difficult to get solder to stick to the terminals after the solder connections fail. The best option is to copper plate them. If that's not possible, you may have to drill through the board so that you can solder a wire along the top of the terminal where it 'may' accept solder. Solder it quickly. It takes very little time to damage the coating. If that fails, you can drill and tap and use a screw to hold the wire to the terminal (similar to the one below).

tbpascrewed01.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.