hifonics zeus xi - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2008, 11:01 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

The whole XI series were plagued by the shorted toroid issue. I have seen about a dozen myself over the last year or so.
Does yours have a API symbol on the endplate ? API only made amps for Hifonics for a short time as I recall before Maxxsonics took over. I think this issue was why that happened...Good luck on fixing the windings,....
Old 14th December 2008, 03:54 PM   #22
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

I like to shoot a few gobs of goop under them to secure, so they can't move. Is there an issue of heat buildup/etc gluing on them? I try not to cover much surface area.
Old 14th December 2008, 09:49 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

You should apply the minimum adhesive possible. If you shoot large amounts of adhesive under the transformer, it's going to make it nearly impossible to remove if you need to do so later.

If you need to secure a large inductor/transformer, use small supports on the perimeter of the core 90 from the terminals. If needed, you can apply a small amount of adhesive to the point where the terminal windings touch the rest of the windings. This will provide good support and won't interfere with cooling.
Old 14th December 2008, 10:01 PM   #24
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

I must have gotten that from you, I put it under the sides where they move/rock not where the wires to board are. Just enough to reach board to coil, and one spot not a line of it. Some amps have it already, I really don't like the idea of not having something if they move easily. I see a smaller MTX here that has it on a tiny board mounted, then drops that whole setup into the amp. But that transformer is small enough it might not ever move around itself anyway.
Old 19th December 2008, 04:40 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Ok im back to working on this again.. I fixed the power supply section in the amp, Now im working on the output section but i ran into a problem never seen it before now put there is a board location of QP14 either a bd911 or a bd912 goes there anyone know which one belongs there any help would greatly be appericated
Old 19th December 2008, 04:45 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

If no one else knows, post the DC voltages on the 3 terminals.
Old 23rd December 2008, 08:06 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

ok here we go again. i put in new outputs,and power supply transistors amp powers up without poping the caps anymore.

now the problem is the amp is in protect mode wondering what do i check at this point
Old 24th December 2008, 01:32 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Do you have any DC offset on either channel?

Is pin 16 on the 494 going high (higher than pin 15)?

If you don't have any DC offset and pin 16 is going high, post the DC voltage on all of the pins of the LM358.

IC#
Pin 1:
Pin 2:
Pin 3:
Pin 4:
Pin 5:
Pin 6:
Pin 7:
Pin 8:
Old 24th December 2008, 03:09 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Didnt see any lm358 but there is a 9523g and the reading are

Pin1: 0
Pin2: 9.88
Pin3: 2.86
Pin4: 0
Pin5: 12.28
Pin6: 4.93
Pin7:12.36
Pin8: 13.79
Old 24th December 2008, 03:40 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

The 9523 is likely a date code.

If pin 7 of this op-amp is driving pin 16 high, you need to trace back pin 5 to see if you can determine what's driving it high.

If you're careful (transistors clamped, current limiter in the B+ line...), you can defeat the protection to see if the amp powers up normally and produces audio on both channels. To defeat the protection, you can either remove the IC or break the connection to pin 5 and short it to ground. Don't short it to ground while it's connected to the board. If you do, you may damage the component driving it high.

Hide this!Advertise here!