97 Maxima Bose system REmixed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am attempting to rearrange a bose system in my 97 maxima gle.

The Head Unit is a 2 DIN in size ... I want to grab this clarion :
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=300&i=020D785USB&tp=5684

But considering its a bose ... I want to also add this EQ
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=265-124

Considering the fact that the components in this system have bose amps attached to the back of them is it possible to set up this EQ with that deck and everything it entails as a bose.

any help is appreciated

An EQ alone is fine, but an EQ/booster is counter-productive since there are amps already in place. You'd most likely end up with a noisy system and a touchy volume control.

And if that Pyramid is even remotely similar to the one they built in the 80's that looked exactly the same, it's not worth the oxygen required to burn it.

tsmith1315 said:
An EQ alone is fine, but an EQ/booster is counter-productive since there are amps already in place. You'd most likely end up with a noisy system and a touchy volume control.

And if that Pyramid is even remotely similar to the one they built in the 80's that looked exactly the same, it's not worth the oxygen required to burn it.

I had assumed it would mess things up although I can't say I was positive. thanks for the heads up!

LMAO @ oxygen :hot:

I had thought about grabbing something like the metra - thanks for the heads up too!

:::

A friend of mine gave me one of these today although neither of us were totally positive how the set up would go -

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Prod...751&i=127OEM2&tp=3486&tab=review&rvm=ShowAllt

I was assuming those 2 RCA sets would attach to the back of the deck , correct? I'm assuming the wiring from the speakers wouldn't have RCA's on the end of them seeing as its a stock system ... ??

And then the rest of the wiring would only be matching up the colors like a regular harness set up?

thanks for any clarification ... its been a while

I was reading a review on an adapter on crutchfield and thought this was interesting an interesting piece of information for all future maxima bose replacement wannabe's :

If you are buying a car receiver on Crutchfield it probably has pre-amp outputs - use those instead of running the speaker outputs into this adapter and essentially just using an external device to create additional pre-amp outputs. For me, my new receiver sounded okay with this adapter but not quite as good as I expected. So I tried running the pre-amp outputs from my head unit to the "speaker" leads (really the inputs to the factory amp) and it worked perfectly. There is no level balancing required of course, and it sounds better now too - voices are a noticeably more realistic and the stereo separation/combination sounds better. So this adapter works well if you need it, but if you don't mind tinkering a little I would recommend considering not using it. I used an inexpensive "twisted pair" interconnect cable that I cut apart to get RCA connectors that I could wire into the leads to the factory amp.

My question is what are the details on how I would wire the RCA connectors into the factory amp leads attached to each speaker???

1-buy the radio adapter harness for the nissan (metra 70-7550).
2-attach the speaker wire grounds on the metra harness to the rca grounds (shield) coming from the deck
3-attach the speaker wire positives on the metra harness to the rca positives (center lead) coming from the deck
4-don't forget the 12v constant, 12v acc, and ground wire. You'll also need to connect blue wire with white stripe on the radio to the car's blue wire with white stripe on the metra harness. If there is only one blue wire on the deck and it has no stripe, use it for both blue wires on the nissan adapter harness. Some aftermarket decks only have one blue wire, you'll use it for both of the adapter harness's blues if that's the case. If the deck has a blue and a blue/white, you can use them both on the matching metra harness wires (antenna and amplifier turn ons)

My question is what are the details on how I would wire the RCA connectors into the factory amp leads attached to each speaker???

Cut a pair of short RCA cables in half. This will give you 4 RCA "pigtails." I like them short, about 3" long or so. Trim them if need be, to avoid a rat's nest behind the HU.

Per RCA:

-Strip back the outer covering about 1-1/2".

-Unwrap the braided shield, and twist it into "wire."
Apply 1/4" to 1/2" of solder to the end of your "wire."
This will be connected to the (-) input of one channel.

-Strip back about 1/4" of the insulation around the center conductor.

-Apply solder to the end of the center conductor.
This will be connected to the (+) input of the same channel.

It's helpful to prepare all 4 RCA's before continuing.

I assume you have a new harness to plug into the factory harness.

You can just trim the input wires to reasonable length and solder them directly to your prepared RCA's.

Optional steps:

I prefer to remove the wires/pins from the plug. There's a little lock on the pin that's visible looking at the tip. Bend that lock down and the pin will pull out from the back.
Then trim the wires very short, solder them to the RCA's on the workbench where it's easy, and re-insert into the plug.

The only reasons for this are neatness, as the coax is drawn up to the plug, and there's no need for tape or heatshrink.

edit: obviously, ppia600 answered while I was typing...

I'm going to go ahead and order the deck [clarion] - I found it for OVER 100 dollars cheaper than crutchfield here:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=18795

I'm going to grab the Metra 95 and UP harness kit with the metra multi kit to hold the deck and an underneath stash slot.

I'll probably grab some cheap interconnects with the kit and harness from partsexpress.

Also I want to grab this 12" :
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=290-570&ctab=1#Tabs

Does anyone have a good suggested amp to pair this with? I was checking out some of the phoenix gold and lanzar amps but i'm not really experienced with car audio so I wasn't quite positive they are what i'm looking for.

As always , thanks for the help and your patience , i'm just a novice when it comes to this stuff your help is really doing alot for me. Thanks again.

Ok so i'm having problems at this point ...

I disected the twisted pair interconnect and noticed that there wasn't just one wire and a shield ...

There are 5 wires and a tin foil like shield.

BUT when I discected the part where the two rca's intersect you'll notice that there are only 2 wires connected. Also if you look at the head I decaptitated you'll notice that the red wire runs up to the male insert and that the other wire , the grey is soldered to the medal brace around it.

What is what?? What do I thread and connect ??

Also ... just to clarify ...

The METRA harness has two ends - one end with plastic clip type connecters and the other end has multi colored wire tips that are all seperate and individual.

I'm assuming that the plastic clips of the metra harness hook to the plastic clips coming from my speakers in the car ??

Then the ends of the wires on the metra harness would hook into the ends of the similar looking wire setup thats coming from my deck + also the other wires on the end of the metra harness would connect into the RCA's i've spliced. The heads of the spliced RCA's that're hooked to the end of the metra harness would then plug into 1 set of RCA's coming from the back of my deck ??

I mentioned the 1 set of RCA's coming from the back of my deck because I have 4 sets of RCA pairs coming from the back of my deck ...

I have pictures below - any help is appreciated !

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.