Need some more help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, I would like to know what accually a loose VC means. is it glued to the tube, think you call it a former. and is that glued to the bottom of the cone. Never took a sub apart so I am searching for info now. when I get the surround loose and the spider unglued from the basket and the leads unsodered from the connectors will the VC and everything lift out as 1 peice? How can I fix a loose VC, to refresh, sub makes little ratteling noise. even at low volume. when you put slight pressure on the cone noise goes away. any more help would be great on this Kicker junk!

You have it right, former is what VC wire is wound around. Rattle is usually the former contacting the pole piece because cone is not straight or maybe VC burned and came unwound and there is not enough clearance in there. If glue came loose you can glue it back, if it burned likely junk, but the former has to be aligned perfect when you get it back together via spider and suspension. There are some sites that show a breakdown of a sub.

Looking in the screen

Under the spider, I can see the VC when I push the cone up. It is nice and bright copper, no dark places. I also noticed ther are screws in there that look like they may bolt the magnet to the basket. could I take the magnet off and check it out that way?

Attachments

• kicker pics 007.jpg
    kicker pics 007.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 49
And of course if a steel basket that magnet will not want to let go of it. I tossed some blown kickers and others on the floor here to get the magnets off, some of the kickers were cheaper and actually the glue came loose and that was the failure. Others even with screws taken out the magnets broke first. I only used them to pick up nails out of dirt so didn't care if they broke, they were all blown.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.