doing surgury on a Kicker l5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
you can use something like a steakknife/butter knife to carefully lift the surround from the frame inch by inch, more like half inch by half inch at a time....when you glue it back together, if you are using a silicone based glue, apply the glue to the frame ONLY...wait till it gets tacky, and DOESNT smell from the fumes, then stick the surround/cone assembly on.

if you dont wait till the fumes evaporate, the chemicals will shrivel the surround material.

you wont be able to save the spider, so just cut it out....unless you really want to try, in that case sprinkle some acetone over the glue joint with the spider, wait a little while and see if you can lift it off...

BECAREFUL not to spill onto the voice coil, it will eat away at the enamelled wire.

use 30 minute epoxy or thick 2000 cps CA glue from a hobby supply store to glue it back down.

dont use 5 minute epoxy, unless your very experienced with speaker repair , you wont seat the parts in time.

Just can't do it!

I sat there looking at this sub, and just can't get myself to do it! I keep thinking inthe back of my mind that mabey some how some way kicker mite make them good since they aren blown or trashed! Any ideas or help on how I can get them to stand behind them with out a reciet.

Attachments

• kicker pics 001.jpg
    kicker pics 001.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 126
very handsome kickers, I use a chemical called toluene sometimes kerosene (kerosene is milder) in loosening up the surround and the spider, acetone, lacquer thinner, acrylic thinner is a NO NO, the fumes will hurt the rubber surround and the paint finish, I use fiberglass epoxy laminates about .005 in thick for the voice coil former, slow set epoxy and an oven to bake the voice coil. Centering the voice coil without a shim is a bit tricky (the cone has no dust cap!).I use a signal audio generator and an amplifier. You feed the voice coil with a 1 or 2 Hz signal and set the volume of the amplifier for a 3/4 in travel and increasing it gradually till you hit 1 in cone travel. And if you decided to trash it I am willing to accept it (oooh those handsome subs):D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.