kenwood KDC-MP825 doesnt close properly

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
recently my Kenwood KDC-MP825 head stopped operating properly. It seems that sometimes when I turn off the car, the face inst closing properly. then, the next time i turn on the car, the face will slide out, fold down, turn on, but then it will slide back into the unit (still flipped down) and the unit turns off. when I press the power button it will repeat this sequence, usually leaving the face in a different tilted position each time it slides back in. sometimes I can turn it off/on many times and eventually it will start working again. this morning I couldn't get it working after 45 minutes of fiddling. I would guess that somethign is not sync'd inside and it doesn't recognize what position the face is in, but that's totally a guess. that's why Ia m asking here :)

if anyone has any ideas, please help. This forum was very helpful last time I had an issue with this head, almost exactly a year ago when the amp went out. I am thinking maybe its time to replace the unit but would like an opinion as to what may be wrong and how involved it will be to fix first. Thanks a ton!

A bit of a generalisation here but a weak point in any headunit that flips is the ribbon cable connecting the face to the head unit.

If you can get a close look at the cable look for signs of stress cracking or tearing, the cable may be damaged and only making an intermittent connection.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.