Kicker L5 making noise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One of my Kicker L5 subs is starting to make a funny noise. It sounds kinda like if you would put a little screw or something on the plastic cone and let it viberate. it does this a low voume. has one of the VC bit the dust? it still plays and has not been played hard. 400 watts. and not distorted. just makes this funny plastic vibrating sound. any Ideas

Had L5s checked out today

They said that the VC lookd fine. they just couldnt figure out what the noise from the cone is. sounds like one of the wires that are sewn to the spider is touching the bottom of the cone. I lookd and they are not touching. cone moves up and down smooth with no catching by hand. I just don't know what it is.

I have a pair of Rockford T1"s that was doing the samething. It turned out to be the screen on the vent pole of the sub that had come loose. You could not tell it was loose just by looking at it. I had to turn the sub upside down & move the cone before I could see it was loose. Don't know if this is your problem, but it might be worth checking out. If this is the case just take a pair of needle nose pliers or hemostats & pull it out.

"They said that the VC lookd fine. they just couldnt figure out what the noise from the cone is. sounds like one of the wires that are sewn to the spider is touching the bottom of the cone. I lookd and they are not touching. cone moves up and down smooth with no catching by hand. I just don't know what it is."

Who said the voice coil looked fine? It is almost impossible to inspect the voice coil without destroying the subwoofer!

It is possible that the cone is becoming detached from the vc former or the bottom of the former is damaged or a couple of windings are coming loose on the vc.

make sure the cone is in one piece, im not sure of square kickers, but for regular round speakers...when part of the dustcap becomes unglued it will make that noise.

when the spider lifts from the basket it will make that noise too.

and sometimes in a regular speaker, the joint where the vc leads meets the tinsels, come unglued from the cone and smack the cone under the dustcap.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.