Kicker L5 making noise - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2008, 04:01 PM   #1
skooter is offline skooter  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Kicker L5 making noise

One of my Kicker L5 subs is starting to make a funny noise. It sounds kinda like if you would put a little screw or something on the plastic cone and let it viberate. it does this a low voume. has one of the VC bit the dust? it still plays and has not been played hard. 400 watts. and not distorted. just makes this funny plastic vibrating sound. any Ideas
Old 11th October 2008, 06:35 PM   #2
djQUAN is offline djQUAN  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to djQUAN Send a message via Yahoo to djQUAN
probably a few turns or so of voice coil got loose.
Old 15th October 2008, 12:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Had L5s checked out today

They said that the VC lookd fine. they just couldnt figure out what the noise from the cone is. sounds like one of the wires that are sewn to the spider is touching the bottom of the cone. I lookd and they are not touching. cone moves up and down smooth with no catching by hand. I just don't know what it is.
Old 15th October 2008, 12:58 AM   #4
clayton is offline clayton  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a pair of Rockford T1"s that was doing the samething. It turned out to be the screen on the vent pole of the sub that had come loose. You could not tell it was loose just by looking at it. I had to turn the sub upside down & move the cone before I could see it was loose. Don't know if this is your problem, but it might be worth checking out. If this is the case just take a pair of needle nose pliers or hemostats & pull it out.
Old 15th October 2008, 01:13 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

"They said that the VC lookd fine. they just couldnt figure out what the noise from the cone is. sounds like one of the wires that are sewn to the spider is touching the bottom of the cone. I lookd and they are not touching. cone moves up and down smooth with no catching by hand. I just don't know what it is."

Who said the voice coil looked fine? It is almost impossible to inspect the voice coil without destroying the subwoofer!

It is possible that the cone is becoming detached from the vc former or the bottom of the former is damaged or a couple of windings are coming loose on the vc.
Old 15th October 2008, 09:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default How they showed me

he put a bright led flashlight on the little vent screen and pulled the cone up to where ya could see the copper windings as far as I could tell they looked still in tack.
Old 16th October 2008, 05:31 PM   #7
Clipped is offline Clipped  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Clipped
make sure the cone is in one piece, im not sure of square kickers, but for regular round speakers...when part of the dustcap becomes unglued it will make that noise.

when the spider lifts from the basket it will make that noise too.

and sometimes in a regular speaker, the joint where the vc leads meets the tinsels, come unglued from the cone and smack the cone under the dustcap.

Hide this!Advertise here!