New System... Please offer your thoughts/comments/concerns/suggestions!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All,

I am looking to build a SQ system, that doesn't have to rattle my trunk with monstrous bass. Below is what I have thought so far:

2 Zapco DC750.2 amps to power both front mids and tweets in a active xover setup
1 JL 1000/1 amp to power an Image Dynamics IDQ12V3.D2

Because I want to go with quality, I have decided to do this system in pieces. I will neglect the rear mid's for a while, as I want to build up a front soundstage and low's. I like the Zapco amps, because of the Symbilink balance line inputs, as well as onboard tools that can be accessed by a PC.

Now, my question for you guys is the choice for front speakers and tweeters. I am considering either Focal Utopia Kit No. 6 without the crossblock, or the Morel Supremo Exotic components. Would any of you recommend anything different that is of this price range, if not maybe a bit less? I know there are other brands out there, but I have no had much experience with them.

Thanks!!!

THe 1000/1 is a lot of amp for the ID 12"

For a bit more scratch you could go this route:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6456

I want someone else to try one of these and tell me how they like it before I get a pair.

One of the issues I have with SQ subs is that the output is usually on the lower side. From what I hear this sub is the best of both worlds.

-JH

Jonny Hotnuts said:
THe 1000/1 is a lot of amp for the ID 12"

For a bit more scratch you could go this route:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6456

I want someone else to try one of these and tell me how they like it before I get a pair.

One of the issues I have with SQ subs is that the output is usually on the lower side. From what I hear this sub is the best of both worlds.

-JH

While I have not heard anything about that particular sub, I have heard many good things about Morel to warrant an investigation. Apparently it produces down to 10Hz, which is pretty low.

Can anyone else chime in on this Morel sub???

Maybe a philospophical question here, but what are your expectations or requirements?

SQ is obvious, from the post and the products contemplated. Your budget seems healthy. Is this system for you and your own listening pleasure, or will you be wanting to impress friends and/or judges in the SQ lane?

And the biggie, what kind of music?

Speakers and their installation are by far the biggest variable, and it's difficult or impossible to quantify which of multiple (quality) choices will perform best for your tastes. In most cases, there will be more than one right answer!

This may not be the route you wish to take, but instead of front sound stage and some bass, you may want to consider holding off on the sub, adding some tweets & strong midbass in the rear and incorporating a variable mass passive radiator to get your lows that won't take much power or rattle much. VMP's are great cause you can tune them yourself to react properly to the active drivers with no extra power.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.