sub sounds

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Getting everything dialed in today an got it jamming with some good rock (evenesence) think thats how you spell it, and got in the back with my sub box and the subs are making a popping noise. Not a cracking pop, kinda sounds like, if the sub cone was touching a cardboard box or something. tuned vol down a touch and all is good. Is this the point where the subs are at there limit of power, or is box too small or big. it is 98.9 sealed.

Pop sound

From your description the cone is reaching its maximum excursion limit, the cone is striking something inside telling you it has exceded its limits. This 'limit' is noted in the drivers specification as Xmax..measured in Millimeters usually. Is your box internal volume the correct size or did you just put it in any ol' box? There is some math to do to get it working at its best.
___________________________________________Rick.........

Attachments

• subwoofer.jpg
    subwoofer.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 116
A bit bigger box won't affect the excursion much...ever so slightly. The volume of your enclosure tells me your drivers are of the "Car" subwoofer types..The single 12" Dual coil sub in my photo required some eight or so cubic feet to run properly...on a single driver!
When I had it set up in the house, I had a rather large box made up using one inch MDF, braced, with two inch screws with glue every five inches. Weighed a ton, but boy could it go way down in frequency! would vibrate things across a table some ten feet away.
________________________________________Rick.........

I ran into this same problem with a pair of Infinity kappa 12"s a few years back, It reached x-max and streched the surround past it's limit, and the surround tore away from the cone just the littlest bit we're talking less than an inch here, I didn't even notice untill I pulled the woofer from the cabinet and ran my finger around the surround from inside th basket. If your subs have dual spiders one of them could have seperated from the basket

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.