AFS Kriket & BABB car audio??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
anyone here old enough to remember AFS Kriket Speakers or BABB???

would love to find info on these again. better yet a pair of Kriket 6x9's in good condition!

Babbs were odd in that they didn't have a spider to hold the VC in the gap. and they had aluminum cones with plastic stiffening ribs glued to them. very odd. but they sounded pretty good from what i remember of them.

I'm old enough to remember when the standard hot-rod install in my town was a pair of Kricket 6x9's with a Clarion EQB. Come back later with more money for the 4" up front.

Kricket couldn't possibly have imagined the abuse their speakers would have to take while under that Lifetime Warranty. Surely that's why they didn't survive as a brand?

Still have a pair of 4" Babbs, and my bro' has a pair of their 10's! Very good sounding speakers in absorbent cars, but way pricey for the early 80's. The 6x9's were my favorites, other 6x9's usually just couldn't quite match them.
Other 6x9's that I remember very fondly from those days were the Altec 4B's and Cerwin-Vega's with the little circuit breakers. I would pay for a NIB set of those Altecs now...

I think this place had some kriket a while back, also had some other old stuff like pyle. http://stores.ebay.com/Quikdrop-of-Comstock-Park-Michigan You might want to call them.

I had a set of babb 6x9, they had no tweeters. Thought they sounded nasty, tinny and weak bass but they might have been trashed when I got them. Got rid of them, they were interesting looking all plastic with alum cone. Kriket and sparkomatic, they were the same I thought. I had jensen coax and clarion booster in my first car, lol. There was kraco too. I still have some boosters, a nice 7 band sparko and a RS, couple others. Also got a junk clarion one day that is the big one with the led on the sides, need to see if it fires up but its really beat up. I only had the 5 band with no lights...:rolleyes: Those were the days. Didn't take long and I had a coustic amp in there, should have kept those.

I had a set of babb 6x9, they had no tweeters. Thought they sounded nasty, tinny and weak bass but they might have been trashed when I got them.

The whizzer cone was clear so you couldn't see it. Nowadays, that's called fullrange and costs extra.

Typically they were bright, thus the "absorbent car" comment.

But lacking in bass? Nope. High Q, low Fs... actual 40-50Hz bass at respectable (for 1984) volumes in most rear decks, if your tape deck could extract it. The wow factor was there with almost every install we did. Add a 50W amp, and you would be partying all night. Guaranteed.

Let's see, Jensen? Clarion? Pioneer? Nope, I can't even remember what my own first 6x9's were... man, that's sad. '68 Mustang with a Fujistu Ten tape deck and a Tancredi booster, maybe 1982. Even back then I couldn't go mainstream.

Older speakers will work fine. BUT, you will have to re-foam the mids and subs. Tweeters seem to be ok. I have been hoarding vintage speakers for years to build my dream system. (just started on it the other day). I am going to be running 20 yr old New Old Stock Boston Acoustic mids, plates, and tweeters in my car. But with a new subwoofer. I had the mids re-foamed, and they should be fine. (I hope) . I plan on using a several sets of M&M 6x9 clear subs, along with some more Boston Acoustics in my Corvette that I am restoring. Those are also new, but have been re-foamed as well. But since I am in Texas, one thing I can't do is leave the car outside in the heat. I did this awhile back with some vintage Cerwin Vega's (10's). It got to 100+ degrees outside, and the subs just fell apart. So, will they work, yes. But re-foam them, and don't let the heat get to them, and you should be fine.

Also, if you ever find some Krickets , post some pics. I would like to see a set. Haven't seen any in 20 years or more. Would like to find me a set of the upper end Babb 6x9's too. They had one heck of a mounting depth to them. Looked neat popping the trunk of your car and seeing the 6x9's drop down a foot into the trunk.

NOS1239.jpg

P1181520.jpg

P1181526.jpg

Re: Green Kricket still alive?

boxcustom said:
I believe AFS Kricket speaker factory was purchased by MTX 20 years ago. If you look at some of the older MTX drivers especially the 6x9's and the 5 1/4 they seen to be identical.

Here you go... These are some first year MTX 6x9's new in box. Pretty old stuff. Don't see cones like this anymore.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

TOMTOMJR. I know who wrote the description on your MTX 6x9 speaker boxes. My gosh, That's Carl Robert's handwriting. He was one of the early car audio speaker shops in Phoenix, Arizona. His shop was called "Speakerworks". His handwriting is very unique. I am sure these speakers were part of his inventory. Early 80's. Small world. CSI here.

Cool. Didn't expect that. Seems like the older the equipment, the more likely it has handwriting on it. Well, at least I now know where they came from. I am not even sure where I got them. Speakerworks rings a bell. Something from the old TOW or IASCA. Didn't Speakerworks have a compete van in the 80's ?

This is not the same speakerworks. I found Carl Roberts e-mail address on a google search. I emailed him. If Mr. Roberts answers back, it will confirm my info. I run into a lot of older equipment in Phoenix but I stopped collecting it. No Room. I now sell New MTX, Pioneer, JVC and others. George.

SPEAKING OF KRICKET AND BABB DOES ANYONE REMEMBER MIND BLOWERS ? THESE WERE MY FIRST SET (NEXT TO THE JENSEN TRI-AXIAL'S) BACK IN THE DAY- HMMM IF i COULD FIND A SET I WOULD BE ALL OVER THEM MAN I LOVED THOSE SPEAKERS
Yes, I had MindBlowers in the mid 70's. They were made by Tenna Corporation and had amplifiers on the back of each speaker and a gain control for the dash.

I had a set of babb 6x9, they had no tweeters. Thought they sounded nasty, tinny and weak bass but they might have been trashed when I got them. Got rid of them, they were interesting looking all plastic with alum cone. Kriket and sparkomatic, they were the same I thought. I had jensen coax and clarion booster in my first car, lol. There was kraco too. I still have some boosters, a nice 7 band sparko and a RS, couple others. Also got a junk clarion one day that is the big one with the led on the sides, need to see if it fires up but its really beat up. I only had the 5 band with no lights...:rolleyes: Those were the days. Didn't take long and I had a coustic amp in there, should have kept those.
Babbs sounded great, had a response of about 30-17,000 without a tweeter. They were waterproof, so much that they'd play fully submerged. The 6x9's weren't that deep, about the same as any 6x9 of the era.

Cool. Didn't expect that. Seems like the older the equipment, the more likely it has handwriting on it. Well, at least I now know where they came from. I am not even sure where I got them. Speakerworks rings a bell. Something from the old TOW or IASCA. Didn't Speakerworks have a compete van in the 80's ?
Maybe you're thinking of SpeakerWorks in Orange County, California. They had some Buick Grand National that got a lot of attention, although I can tell you from first-hand experience, having sat in the car and listened, that it sounded awful and very distorted. I don't know how anyone could consider compression horns hi-fi.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.