Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2008, 11:37 PM   #1
skooter is offline skooter  United States
diyAudio Member

Default dual Voice coils on subs

what is the reason for dual vc on a sub? More power? wiring options
Old 15th September 2008, 12:34 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

It gives you more wiring options, so you can send more power to them. I actually just emailed you skooter.
Old 15th September 2008, 01:14 AM   #3
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

I always thought it was so you could run one sub on a normal 2ch amp. Who would want to run one sub I don't know, but guess I have had to at times. But I have four DVC subs at 2 ohms now, I guess I'd need 8 ohm subs otherwise so the options are nice...except I wanted to try a 4ohm amp in there and can't. Can also run two amps on one DVC sub.
Old 15th September 2008, 01:17 AM   #4
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

With dual voice coils, and bearing in mind that to keep data usage to the minimum most CDs record bass below 80Hz on ONE channel, so a single channel sub makes a lot of sense, and enhances CD duration.

Spatial information is not an issue under 80Hz, so this is justified.

With two voice coils, both channels can be mechanically summed, removing most of the interaction between channels.

Hugh
Old 15th September 2008, 01:50 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Dual voice coil woofers were initially introduced to be able to have stereo bass from only a single woofer. This was long before a bridgeable amp was available. However they were not that popular, back then at least. They have since gotten very popular. They are more versatile than a SVC woofer in that there are more possibilities for wiring them to your amplifier.
Old 15th September 2008, 02:03 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Default Subs....

It was Twin coiled so you could tap it off a two channel amp.........so long as you don't load down your amp ( less than two Ohms)...you had to roll off your "mains".
Got a pair of RS 40-1350A.........On closeout (RS no longer makes drivers").
Was going to make a Push pull for decreased V But my R...not Z was too low (3.2 Ohms per coil) so I used one in a Ten cubic foot by one inch MDF.
I was getting 5/8 " excursions...way low.
So happens I got one "unused" in the box.....just waiting for me to get the itch.
____________________________________________Rick.. ...........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12sub.jpg (90.6 KB, 88 views)
Old 15th September 2008, 02:07 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Default New

New....................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg subwoofer.jpg (56.5 KB, 84 views)
Old 15th September 2008, 04:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The big reason for DVC subs was so people could run ungodly low loads and cook off their car amps trying to make SPL and get the most bang for the buck out of their car amp.

Other then that DVC subs are usually spec'ed by there makers at about 3 BD's less SPL efficiency then single voice coil subs so they are a trade off in the real world SPL wise. As the 3 DB gain of low ohms loading is offset by the 3 DB's less output the subs suffers from efficiency wise.

So the poor little car amp gets the living day lights beat out of it for a trade off break even situation... But people think its the hot setup cause they are told that by sales people who live off commissions from sales. Flashy numbers and pushing the limits seems to attract crowds in car audio for some reason. I guess its that 'Saturday night, Hot rod , run what you bring" fever that the industry promoted so well back in the day lol lol...They played that well...

Plus I guess it gives some folks that "I'm running the limit" feeling about their car audio experience lol lol ... It always seems to appeal to some folks that getting a beer budget car amp to double its output is the way to go, even though on paper its just risky, and technically seems to not produce anymore SPL in most cases.

Thank God car amps are cheap nowadays...

PS most car amp companies also have subs lines they sell to maximize their profit margins. Seems sub speaker s are pretty profitable, and if you can build them so they blow amps , you sell more amps also... I hear cancer operates on the same principals lol lol lol
Old 15th September 2008, 05:09 PM   #9
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

Don't forget amps like HC Soundstreams, where you had to figure out a way to get a very low load just to make it work....and have more than 25rms. I never got into that game. Have 400rms on four 12dvc right now and it is overkill at 30hz, for music, for me, but it gets low like I wanted.

I have a pair of new RS 8" dvc subs, was thinking of putting them in my doors for midbass. They are IB drivers, tried to use one in a home BP box way back when I got them and wow did that not work. Not sure they will get low enough for me, really want down to 50hz midbass providing they will fit in the car. Once I was told Pioneer made all of RS' speakers, used to run a lot of dome tweets from them in cars.
Old 15th September 2008, 06:46 PM   #10
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by I Am An Idiot
Dual voice coil woofers were initially introduced to be able to have stereo bass from only a single woofer. This was long before a bridgeable amp was available. However they were not that popular, back then at least. They have since gotten very popular. They are more versatile than a SVC woofer in that there are more possibilities for wiring them to your amplifier.

EXACTLY. They really are pointless nowadays with so many single channel amps on the market. The idea is to optimize your amp with the correct load. So many amps are two ohm stable that they could just sell single coil 2, 4, or 8 ohm woofers instead of the duals. More tinsel leads for no reason.

Hide this!Advertise here!