Installing a 4" cooling fan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Connecting Additional Devices to the Remote Turn On Wire
Using a 30 amp SPDT relay, connect terminal #87 to constant 12 volts positive with a fuse rated to the sum of the additional accessories you've added and the components you need to turn on. (If you have two fans rated at 5 amps each and a neon light rated at 10 amps, you would use a 20 amp fuse plus 200 ma for each amplifier and processor.) Connect terminal #85 to ground, terminal #86 to the remote turn on wire from the head unit, and terminal #30 to each accessory with an appropriate fuse. A fuse (not shown) could also be used between the output of the relay (#30) and the remote turn on wire of the amplifiers and/or processors for extra precaution.

Attachments

• fanrelay.jpg
    fanrelay.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 151
PC case fans take pretty small amperage and often say right on them, and some HU actually tell what current you can run. IMHO new HU are piles that can't run stuff on the remote, but I have read some horror stories of newer HU blowing the remotes and does not sound like fun. I ran two sometimes three amps and a std case fan on an older alpine HU with no problem for years but like I said, I've been told its not a good idea on newer HU. Relays are cheap.

If you look hard, I once did find a page that told what amps took in current and explained this issue better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.