Orion 250 SX - Bad resistor or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I purchased this "working" Orion 250 SX off of Ebay, but I have yet to install it in my car. I was wondering if these resistors looked bad to you?

This is the one on the right side of the board:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is the one on the left side of the board:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

According to my POS Radio Shack meter, each one reads at 8.7 ohms. Regardless, do you think I am overly paranoid and this amp is good to go or should I schedule a trip to dB-r?

firstly i would find out what the original value should be and i would change them both for sure.

i'm sure they must be at least out of tolerance and ready to open up any day now, plus the solder joits are bad from the heat.

you should also find out what was stressing the resistors so much. there could be other component that are out of spec.

I would be willing to bet that the person I purchased it from bridged it too low OR clipped the heck out of the amp by using the EQ. Back in the day I saw way too many people try to run those SX series amps like they were the HCCA line.

I guess I will contact dB-r and arrange to send it off.

I just figured that I would follow up on this. The burnt resistors were part of the Zobel network and that was the only thing wrong with this amp! Looks like it will make a great mids/highs amp or a great amp to pair with a Erath Electronic acoustic suspension module. I need to see if my module is still available or not:xeye:

I have seen them get worse then that and maintain toelrance, and I have seen them look brand new the entire way around and read into the millions. I always meter it out and if it's that damn burt, I just replace it for all of 5 cents per resistor. The other poster was right the solder looked pretty cold too.

Since you sent the amp out, did you have the electrolytics replaced? They have a shelf life of about 20 years, and thats when they are just sitting there. Average lifespan in it's rated enviroment is 1000 hours for the standards and running it out of it's enviroment (like 105 degrees for an 85 degree rated cap) can lower it's lifespan to a third of it's rating in some cases.. If your serious about keeping an old amp, I would have them done as well.

If you have the luxory of specifying the replacements, ask for 105 degree, high frequency caps.

- Matt

I saw your servo at Mr. Geralds' a couple of weeks ago. (I brought him mine to "remind" him how to put them together. I saw yours when I picked mine up.)

Let me know if you need any thing. I have 3 Orions (2 GX and an SX) in storage and 2 Servo's. I have been meaning to put my servo's back in the new truck (took out when my a/d/s S10 woofer was stolen) but have had other priorities.

I will be putting a servo and Orion 280GX in my brothers truck on an old pair of Dayton Audio 10's shortly... Had that setup in a cousin-in-laws truck and he loved them.. He VERY reluctantly returned it when the divorce happened with my ex and I.

Where are you in Lafayette, and will you need any help?

I'm in the Oil Center area but will be moving to Broussard in Jan.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.