rg59 rca cables for car stereo?? HU to amp interconnect - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th August 2008, 12:43 PM   #1
jton219 is offline jton219  United States
diyAudio Member

Default rg59 rca cables for car stereo?? HU to amp interconnect

has anyone used/bought/made car audio interconnects using RG59U cables. most car audio cables are some form of twisted pair. is the emi/rfi noise rejection from twisted pair cables greater than rg59u. the rg59 cable im looking at claims 3 layers of shielding, double copper braid with al foil.
Old 28th August 2008, 12:07 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

an RG59 cable is something similar to this.

http://tartancable.com/stereo-cables/index.htm

CL2 rated means they can be used inside the walls of a house. means they are shielded enough to not let internal 120/240 volt home circuity mess with the signal.
Old 28th August 2008, 12:12 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have never used 59 but we do use RG-6 to make cables in home applications. The compression connectors are not cheap. But they work great. The only problem I would see in a vehicle with the RG-6 is that it is stiff and could apply constant pressure on the jacks of your radio and amplifier. Granted the 59 would be much more flexible than the 6. I have no idea if the compression ends are available for the RG-59. The RG-6 does have superior shielding compared to any RCA cable I have seen.
Old 28th August 2008, 08:53 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

do you think there is any sonic difference between a solid single copper conductor in the RG59/6 cables vs the stranded type we normally see in car audio.
Old 28th August 2008, 09:19 AM   #5
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

no.
any sonic difference will be down to the different parameters (L,C,R) reacting with the preamp or power amp.
Old 28th August 2008, 08:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

thanks. RG6 cables would cost too much and seem like overkill for car audio. i guess ill take my chances with RG59/u cables. seem like good price for performance type of deal. thanks for the replies.
Old 28th August 2008, 08:15 PM   #7
shagone is offline shagone  United States
diyAudio Member

i have heard many times that good video coax cable is great for audio. sort of an old installer trick. it is a bit stiff and thick but if you have the room go for it! RG6 uses 18awg if i remember correctly and better shielding. you can find rolls of it somewhat cheap on ebay.

you may as well use basic shielded twisted pair over RG59 because you may not hear a difference at all.
Old 29th August 2008, 11:04 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yes you can find RG/59 connectors. But here is something that many people dont know about rg/59 or 6. They both can carry a larger amount of bandwith than just a regular pair of rca cables. However, if you look at some of the much more exspensive rca cable, they are if I remember RG/58, which is a tad smaller than 59 or 6. I use to make my own Componant, Audio and Video cables from RG/6 all the time. Sometimes it is worth the extra cost in home audio anyways.

Hide this!Advertise here!