Soundstream D200, one channel very low - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2008, 11:39 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Soundstream D200, one channel very low

I have a Soundstream D200 and the left channel is very low compared to the right channel. Even with the left channel gain set at 3/4 of full and the right set at about 1/5 of full the right channel is still louder.

I also notice compare to all my other D's and MC's the red power L.E.D. on this D200 is a bit dimmer.

Any help you may have would be great.

Also what would be good cap upgrade for the D200, it has four 2200uf 50v, four 22uf 50v, three 4.7uf 16v, and 2 100uf 16v caps on the board. I have 2 and the one above for total of 3 D200 and would like to upgrade the caps. Well if I can get the bad one fix I will upgrade the caps.

Thanks for all your help in advance.
Old 19th August 2008, 12:29 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

There is likely an electrolytic capacitor (100uf-220uf?) in the feedback circuit that shunts part of the audio signal to ground (which causes the amplifier to produce gain. If the capacitor is well out of tolerance or is open, the gain will be less.

How much difference is there when both gains are at the maximum gain position?

If you can locate the differential amplifier transistors, it will make it easier to find the fault. If there are no 6-legged devices, look for 2 transistors in close proximity that have the same DC voltage on their bases. The voltage will also be the same on both of their emitters (~0.7v above/below 0v). The bases will be very near 0v.
Old 19th August 2008, 01:28 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Perry Babin
There is likely an electrolytic capacitor (100uf-220uf?) in the feedback circuit that shunts part of the audio signal to ground (which causes the amplifier to produce gain. If the capacitor is well out of tolerance or is open, the gain will be less.

How much difference is there when both gains are at the maximum gain position?

If you can locate the differential amplifier transistors, it will make it easier to find the fault. If there are no 6-legged devices, look for 2 transistors in close proximity that have the same DC voltage on their bases. The voltage will also be the same on both of their emitters (~0.7v above/below 0v). The bases will be very near 0v.

At max gain the right channel has to be atleast 2 1/2 times louder.

No 6-legged devices.

I will see if I can locat the bad cap. Its only two 100uf caps on the board. One in each side/channel of the amp. The amp is a dual mono if that helps.

Thanks for the fast reply Perry.
Old 21st August 2008, 02:46 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Did you get this amp working?

I have a D200 in the shop.
Old 21st August 2008, 05:07 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Perry Babin
Did you get this amp working?

I have a D200 in the shop.
I think the one you have in the shop is from the guy I bought this one from. He told me he just sent one in for repair. He also said sends some of his amps to you to have them repaired. He told me he noticed the problem one this, but after playing with the RCA jack it was fine.

He ask me to send it back to him and he would refund my money, but I told to just keep the money as I just bought a soundstream MC300 him. And once he has this one back I will just pay him the diffence. Great, standup up guy.

So you more than likely will be getting this on also. Also once it is fixed i more then likely will re-purchase it from him or the one you have now.

Thanks for all the help Perry.

Hide this!Advertise here!