where to buy components?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i am just wondering if anyone can recommend a place to try and purchase parts and pieces from. so far i have only heard of mouser.com.

or if i should be loyal to any specific manufacturer? like texas instruments or fairchild when i have a choice.

where do you buy from and why?

Perry Babin said:
digikey.com
mcminone.com
componentsuperstore.com

I prefer International Rectifier/Vishay for FETs. For BJTs, I prefer On-Semi. Never use NTE or similar parts. I've seen a very high rate of failure for Central Semiconductor parts.

I have seen in a store that sells NTE parts. the semicons all appeared as if the original number was sanded off and an NTE number stamped on. :whazzat:

That's generally what they do. The problem with using the NTE parts is that you never really know what part you're installing. Many times, they'll have one part number to cover many other parts (all with slightly different specs).

With class D amps and switching power supplies, it's often important to use precisely the same part as the original. Very small changes in the electrical characteristics can make a huge difference. In some class D amps, transistors that have been changed VERY slightly by the manufacturer will not work properly, even though the parts have the same number and essentially the same specs.

NTE may have been OK in the 70s and may still be OK for TV repair but they are not a reliable sub for many of the newer amplifiers.

I've found some interesting things on eBay, some sellers were from the USA, some in Canada like you, and a few in China & Thailand.

Generally I get harder to get parts from Digi-Key, Mouser, Parts Express, and things like a few ICs and microcontrollers (PICs especially) from eBay for my low-quantity projects.

There is a seller from Canada (DIPMICRO) with pretty neat proto boards.

Also, I've gotten a few things cheap from Futurlec.com but the shipping is terribly slow!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.