I can't tell if I'm hurting my subs - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd August 2008, 10:11 PM   #11
mikee55 is offline mikee55  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default what about....

They don't sound distorted, at least not through my vans rattling,

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the rattles in the van!

Indoors, if you got ornaments rattling and buzzing, you either remove the offending items or, you blu-tak them or something. Maybe something could be permanently attached with liquid nails or tighten bolts, apply bitumen pads to panels, (roofers felt), even?

Take the sub out of the van and set it up

Mike
Old 23rd August 2008, 07:15 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Re: what about....

Quote:
Originally posted by mikee55
They don't sound distorted, at least not through my vans rattling,

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the rattles in the van!

Indoors, if you got ornaments rattling and buzzing, you either remove the offending items or, you blu-tak them or something. Maybe something could be permanently attached with liquid nails or tighten bolts, apply bitumen pads to panels, (roofers felt), even?

Take the sub out of the van and set it up

Mike

Yeah, well I don't want to permanently close the hatch of my van heh. What's the roofers felt?

Yeah, I was actually thinking about that. I'll take it out tomorrow and set it up.

Another quick question, does internal bracing really help? I put none in a 4x12 box and it's not falling apart or anything. It just flex's on loud low notes.
Old 23rd August 2008, 01:19 PM   #13
spooney is offline spooney  United States
diyAudio Member

that flexing is loosing some of the output you could have.you'd be surprised how much a well braced box can improve the sound.If you can actually see it flexing you need to add some bracing
Old 23rd August 2008, 01:56 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default hello again

Roofers felt .

When you build a building, say with a flat roof, you need a waterproof covering.
http://www.clevedonfeltroofing.co.uk/

Would it be too much, to ask for an image? Can you upload some pics?

And you lot, too! I wanna see more pics, wheres the gallery?

I would, but my Digicam is poorly

Just a quick look at your box, we could tell you more

Mike
Old 23rd August 2008, 02:51 PM   #15
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
It's the car with all it's rattles and non-linear flexings what trashes the sound.

Car acoustics have *far* more impact on sound quality than amplifiers or speakers, or even a too weak subwoofer enclosure. Bad car acoustics distort the sound to the point where you can't tell if amplifiers and speakers are being overdriven or not (sad!)

The stiffness of the door panels, when they act as enclosures for front midbass speakers, also has a tremendous impact on sound quality. The worst midbass speaker in the world placed on a strong and quiet door panel has more "punch" than the best one on a weak panel.
Old 23rd August 2008, 07:51 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eva
It's the car with all it's rattles and non-linear flexings what trashes the sound.

Car acoustics have *far* more impact on sound quality than amplifiers or speakers, or even a too weak subwoofer enclosure. Bad car acoustics distort the sound to the point where you can't tell if amplifiers and speakers are being overdriven or not (sad!)

The stiffness of the door panels, when they act as enclosures for front midbass speakers, also has a tremendous impact on sound quality. The worst midbass speaker in the world placed on a strong and quiet door panel has more "punch" than the best one on a weak panel.
That makes sense, so I guess I need to take the subs out and add bracing to the box. That should be a lot of funnn lol.

And Mikee55- I'll get some pictures in just a few minutes, though it'll be off of my phone so the quality might be sub-par.
Old 23rd August 2008, 09:06 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Using outside of my van told me a few things, those damn speakers on top of the box rattle too much, the box does flex a lot, and air is getting out -_-

So I want to build a new box, or 2. This time I'll do it right, but I'm also considering porting it.
Old 23rd August 2008, 10:16 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Okay...

Hi ninjatanzen,
I have to admit I had no idea your box would be like that! I'm also no expert or good at much, others will always Know more. People on this site have always tried to help me, so I try to return the help.

Is that just a box?
Did you just measure your van to see what fits best, ( always a factor, but)?
Also, did you find the correct volume for your drivers?
Are your joints sound, and the baffle needs to be braced to the rear panel?
Would a deeper box be possible?
Can I suggest that if the box could be different, would the rear wave be dealt better, by having further to travel, before its reflected off of the back panel?
Do you have stuffing?

Before you brace with a length of 4 by 4 front to back, center of the baffle, could a matrix of partitions help, which have, say 2" holes drilled into them?
Whats inside the box???

Mike
Old 23rd August 2008, 10:56 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Okay...

Quote:
Originally posted by mikee55
Hi ninjatanzen,
I have to admit I had no idea your box would be like that! I'm also no expert or good at much, others will always Know more. People on this site have always tried to help me, so I try to return the help.

Is that just a box?
Did you just measure your van to see what fits best, ( always a factor, but)?
Also, did you find the correct volume for your drivers?
Are your joints sound, and the baffle needs to be braced to the rear panel?
Would a deeper box be possible?
Can I suggest that if the box could be different, would the rear wave be dealt better, by having further to travel, before its reflected off of the back panel?
Do you have stuffing?

Before you brace with a length of 4 by 4 front to back, center of the baffle, could a matrix of partitions help, which have, say 2" holes drilled into them?
Whats inside the box???

Mike

It's just a box, yes. I did measure my van, and that fits where the rear seats used to go. I could've made it taller and not a wide I suppose.
I didn't get the perfect volume for my drivers, but I got an optimal one to my knowledge and advanced calculations (lol jk, but I went over everything I knew when figuring out the volume).
I was going to brace my baffle, but somehow I just forgot to. So, with that being loose and flexing, my joints are no longer tight.

I have stuffing, but wasn't sure how well that would really work in such a big box, as I did not have enough.

So overall it's basically a box :x
I'm definitely thinking of making/buying a better one.
Old 23rd August 2008, 11:25 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default Dude

don't buy one. This site could help you. You could learn quite easily to measure your drivers Thiele/Small parameters, usually a PC with a sound card and a Digital Multimeter capable of ac milliamps. See here
http://www.readresearch.co.uk/html/utilities.htm or here
http://sound.westhost.com/tsp.htm

Throw that box back in ya van, so you got some toones, whilst you design your box.

Re measure your van and look again at what room you can afford to use.

Post or search for a better ratio of height width depth of your box, and try to design for it.
Search for cabinet construction techniques, this sub would be an effort to be proud of, I've built loads of boxes that I thought sounded right, I followed info and had help from the man himself, richie00boy, and with a driver I had gotten used to, but had no spec. I measured the T/S parameters and made a box. I was surprised at how good it sounded once correctly done. The feel good factor outweighs any purchased pre made box, especially if its not built to the right driver.
A double skin of 18mm mdf and 18mm ply would make a stiff box a Router would flush mount your drivers and finish off edges by rounding them over.

A 1000w r.m.s of juice would be better served up to you, no?

Mike

Hide this!Advertise here!