Power Acoustik Amp Help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2008, 01:23 AM   #1
22chet is offline 22chet  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Power Acoustik Amp Help

I hooked up my 1600w power acoustik amp yesterday and turned the key to see if it would turn on and sure enough it did. the only bad thing is my speaker wires were touching and blew something in the amp. I have pictures of what is blown i was wondering if this could be replaced. the other speaker output works fine.
Click the image to open in full size.

I have figured it out to be a FET. with number IRFZ44N so i ordered some and was wondering if it is as straight forward install as it seems ? Im going to replace all 3 of them on that side.
Old 15th August 2008, 07:05 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

There are 6 on that side. All 6 need to be replaced.

You also need to check the two 2SA1266 driver transistors near those FETs.

Is there soot on the other side of the board across from the blown FETs? If so, is that from a previous failure or are those FETs blown also?

It's possible that the output transistors have failed. They are the larger transistors in the amplifier. If you read anything near 0 ohms between the legs of any individual transistor, the transistor (or one in parallel with it) is shorted and will have to be replaced. If one of 3 (4?) with the same part number has failed, all of the ones with the same number in that channel will have to be replaced.
Old 22nd February 2009, 01:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default maybe you can help

maybe you can help me bro..my LT1920/2 is broken..the same part that your amp burned up, mine are just broke..did you find the parts for your online or what..i've asked PowerAcoustik's parts and tech department but they are like "you bought it, it's your problem now." Can you tell me where I can find the FET's like you had to replace in yours? Thanks..I'm attaching a pic of one of the FET's I need..thanks again
Old 22nd February 2009, 01:13 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

If they're using IRFZ44s:
http://octopart.com/search?q=IRFZ44NPBF
Old 22nd February 2009, 01:33 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

well, they are IRFZ44N's and they have a few other numbers on there like 415K under the IRFZ44N and 5H and OB under that..is there a difference?
Old 22nd February 2009, 01:36 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The other numbers are date/production codes. The 'IRFZ44N' is the part number. The PBF on the end of the part number means that it's lead free. Otherwise it's essentially the same.
Old 22nd February 2009, 10:05 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

if your amp works now after you put the new FET's in then it can't be that difficult..this is actually my first repair
Old 22nd February 2009, 10:05 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

i owe you one fella..thanks again!!

Hide this!Advertise here!