help with clif designs cd860hc amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not sure if that would work in that amp with a missing driver transistor. If you remove the outputs that were being driven by the blown driver, you could reinstall the other parts that are not blown and power it up.

To determine which outputs were being driven by the blown driver transistor, follow the trace from pin 1 of the driver to the base resistors of the output transistors.

Hey I have been testing another amp of mine and i found some drive transistors shorted in it too and I am having troubles finding them and they are A1352's. Is there a cross number for them?
I am going to order those others you said you never tried as an replacement and see how my amp does after that. Thanks for all the help.

When testing amps you should get the amp to power up via a 10-20 amp fuse before connecting it directly to the power source. It will help save the new parts if there is a problem.

The over-current detect transistor may have failed. It should be near a small diode in the audio section of the amplifier. It may be a c3198. The first leg is likely to be connected to the third leg of the output transistors.

Were there any shorted outputs?

It's possible that the drivers are not up to the task or it could have been a random failure.

The fuses in many amplifiers are too large to offer much protection. With six 40 amp fuses, it's likely that the power supply would fail catastrophically before the fuses blew. If you have a 120 amp fuse in the B+ line, it would blow before the fuses on board. In this instance, the protection circuit reacted quickly enough to prevent excessive current flow.

If you find that the over-current transistor has failed and you remove it, do NOT power up the amp unless you do so with a 20 amp fuse in series with the B+ line. Even after you replace the transistor, you should power up the amp through the 20 amp fuse.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.