Dilemma of a new old school amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A few weeks ago I purchased a rare OS amp. The seller had another and I opted to buy it as well (the amp only makes 50 watts per channel....my dyna separates are hogs so I figured 1 mono to each side would double the power twice and be all together better).

I paid 100$ more for the second amp.....because the seller said it was brand new (and because the serial numbers of the 2 amps are 318 and 319). Because the 1st amp (sold as slightly used) was in such pristine condition I had no reason to doubt what was saying was true. Its easy to say a perfect amp is brand new, even if it was gently installed and used for years.

The amp arrived and is still in the original packaging, with seals un-opened. I pulled a bit of the box open (just to make sure it was not full of rocks!) and it is 100% brand new.

I want to use both amps but am concerned that once I open the box that some of its resale value is gone. Should I leave it in the box???

This could very well be the last M50 new in the box in the world.

Soundstream,Orion,Linear Power,Lanzar,Hifonics,PPI,ect.ect...
Are these not amplifiers and not Barbie Dolls? How good is it going to sound in the box.Whats next a glass shrine?
Lets stop the romance.Many of us have adultery love affairs with many manufactures.Since you bought,its yours,go and get you some.I heard SoundStream are very loving.

And thats my manditory minimum...........

M50 ? PG maybe?
well the minute the amp goes into service the resale value will have dropped, just like a car, or anything you could buy and use or resell. Buyers / sellers rules of business so to speak...

Also keep in mind that "OLD" electronics is just that "OLD". Depending on age and build quality I am sure the electrolytic caps inside that amp are just screaming "Please replace me".

Electronics just like anything man made will need to be serviced to maintain integrity and like new operation.
Vintage audiophile collectors know and understand this fact and pay hansom prices to get their old equipment refurbished to "like new" or higher quality with modern devices.

Matching sequential serial numbers is a nice thing if the maker did not build eleventy billion of the item, other then that it looks nice in a setup on a vintage collector vehicle. But in real life serves no practical use unless its hanging in a museum maybe.

I would suggest you have the OS items serviced even if all it needs is just a check up by a qualified support person.

I hear wine and single malt scotch age well if cared for, just like good friendships, but as for electronics well its one of those things thats gonna need help in my opinion.

Congrates of your recent finds.....:)

Jonny Hotnuts said:

Sony M50

I cant stand not running it.....
Looks like the box is going to have to be opened!

Man, 2 Sony XES dual Mono M50, these are some of my favorite amps of all time. Man I say use them. This amp will always ways bring good money.

This amp is also underated. It will make more then 50 watts rms. I had the Car Stereo Review mag with the entire XES system review in it (The Z50 changer/procesor with display, XES ribbon tweeters, XES 6.5" mids, 2 XES 12 inch subs and 4 XES M50 amps. I remember the amps made a bit more then rated power. The mag got wet when my washing machine went crazy.

You are one luck person:worship:

AMC32:
Since you bought,its yours,go and get you some.

:rofl:

Jonny:
This could very well be the last M50 new in the box in the world.

Then you may very well be the last person to hear a brand new M50, grasshopper.

Reminds me of watching a priceless '63 Corvette Grand Sport swap paint with a plain-jane Camaro while qualifying for a vintage race at Road Atlanta.
GM only made 5 Grand Sports - all factory racers almost solely responsible for elevating Corvette to the international sports car status that it still is and 2 were lost in the process. There goes an irreplaceable piece of automotive history out there, bangin' against a Camaro.

After the race, they were in the paddock patching it up with duct tape and spray paint to finish the weekend! I told them that I couldn't believe they were risking the car like that.

The reply? "This car was built to race and that's what we're doing!"

Enjoy, Jonny

Me being a collector of new in box old school amps, I would say open the box. UNSEAL THE BOX. I bought some new in box amps the other day. The seals were intact, and I opened them. Come to find out, the chrome was peeling on 2 of them. Bought 5. I buy new in box stuff, but Always open the boxes. I buy a lot, and sell a few of the vintage new in box amps, and would rather know the condition than not. Even if it is sealed in the box, it can rust, chrome peel, ect. SOOOO open it up. Using them will take off value for an old-school amp, but keep the original box, and accessories intact, and it won't hurt the value much. Don't bugger up the mounting holes, use grommets, keep the moisture away from it, and just take care of it. Should still bring good $$$ when you sell them...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Well its too late now, the box is opened!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Virgin amp mounts (wont be for long!)

Thanks for the advice all.

On another note:

One reason I purchased the other M50 was because the serials were sequential.

Is there any reason that this is a good thing other than they were produced side by side?

I have heard people say they want amps with close serial #’s but never understood what the logic was behind this.

Jonny Hotnuts said:

Well its too late now, the box is opened!

Virgin amp mounts (wont be for long!)

Thanks for the advice all.

On another note:

One reason I purchased the other M50 was because the serials were sequential.

Is there any reason that this is a good thing other than they were produced side by side?

I have heard people say they want amps with close serial #’s but never understood what the logic was behind this.

May to make sure all parts are from the same batch or something like that. I would think, well maybe the parts would be closer in tolerance that why.

Just a guess.

But :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: man I just had a moment:D

Lol, I don't buy pristine amps because I use them or plan to. How it works is 80% of what I care about....imagine how I felt when people said they were all the same just different power levels.:bawling: I'm not sure what to do but soon as I have time I will test my way out. Nice amps tho!

:D :D :D

Don't be sad, Jonny... I'm sure they will put you at ease once you hook them up and bask in their glory...

Now you can sell off your PQ20s and not feel bad. ;)

BTW The Dynaudios *are* a bit of a power hog... I've got a 220 set on a JL Audio 300/2 and it's just about right.

jol50 has the right idea... once they're installed and making music, it doesn't matter what they look like... it's about sound.

an2ny888 said:
how do these compare to the m1's? the m50's internals look much more impressive

Man I miss my M1 and M3's. The all are great amps. The M50 are just more advance in design. From when I listen to the M50 they had a more robust sound to them. the M1 and M3 are a little more on the bright sound to me. The m1 and m3 remind me of the American sound like the soundstream old school D's and MC's, PPI Art's, the new Arc Audio SE's, the Zapco C2K's and old school studio and reference. The M50 remind me of the high-end sound from across the pond, like Audison, Sinfoni, DLS, and Genesis. The Sony 260g and 2100g sound very much like the M's. All of these are all my favorite sony amps, Add the massive and super rare XM-2000R to the list.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.