Help to repair JL audio 300/2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been trying to repair this amplifier since 3 months.

It has been a headache!!

All the internal parts apear be fine.

The problem is:

It ignites of intermittent way.

turn´s on 15 seconds and turn´s of 5 seconds, turn´s on 15 seconds and turn´s of 5 seconds, etc.

Please help me before I take and...:smash:

This is the pic:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Perry Babin said:
During the time that it's on, does it produce clean audio in both channels?

Is there excessive DC offset on either channel?

Does either channel have any oscillation on the output?

Does the cycle of on/off change when you change the position of any of the switches/potentiometers?

The amp produce clean audio in two channels and bridget, before shot down.

whitout signal:

without remote, the amp present 0.62 v DC in the outputs.

Whith remote, 0.006 V DC in the otputs

No changes, when I move switches and potentiometers.

Without remote, those voltages are normal. If you apply remote, the voltage on pin 1 of the FETs will go to ~3-5v. The voltage on the rectifiers will probably go to approximately ±35v.

How many amps of current does the amplifier draw at idle (remote voltage applied, no audio).

Does it shut down with no speakers connected?

Are any of the indicators LEDs lighting except for the power LED?

Does the power LED go off when the amp shuts down?

What are you using to power the amp?

Perry Babin said:
Without remote, those voltages are normal. If you apply remote, the voltage on pin 1 of the FETs will go to ~3-5v. The voltage on the rectifiers will probably go to approximately ±35v.

How many amps of current does the amplifier draw at idle (remote voltage applied, no audio).

Does it shut down with no speakers connected?

Are any of the indicators LEDs lighting except for the power LED?

Does the power LED go off when the amp shuts down?

What are you using to power the amp?

The voltage on the diodes go 44 and -44 !!!!!!

4 amp current when apply remote.

Shut down only with speaker connected and at high vol.

Only the green led is turn on, and is always present.

I’m using one 12.5 v regulated power source (ASTRON) 1 - 25 A.

Today happen something different.

[img=http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/6824/dsc00944dw4.jpg]
[img=http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/6824/dsc00944dw4.b484ea5d27.jpg]

two resistors was burn, R300 and R301

¿this gives a track to find where is the problem?

**** That's good. The board says the rail voltage should be 53v but its producing rail voltage so the power supply is probably OK.

**** That seem a bit high but could be due to the bias current being set too high.

**** This could be due to the 25 amp Astron power supply being insufficient to power the amp at high output power. When you get the amp working again, try running one channel at a time to see if the amp shuts off. If it plays at high power with 'either' channel and only shuts down when both channels are running at high power, the amp may be working properly and is simply shutting down due to low voltage.

**** If I'm not mistaken, those are (were) 10 ohm resistors. They are used extensively to provide protection for the regulated ±15v power supply. The caps provide additional filtering near the op-amps. I don't know why they would have failed. It's not likely to be part of the original problem. Is it possible that you didn't have the preamp boards plugged in correctly to the main board? You have to be careful connecting them. You need to replace them to see if they burn again. If they do, you may have a defective op-amp in that area.

Perry Babin said:

**** That's good. The board says the rail voltage should be 53v but its producing rail voltage so the power supply is probably OK.

**** That seem a bit high but could be due to the bias current being set too high.

**** This could be due to the 25 amp Astron power supply being insufficient to power the amp at high output power. When you get the amp working again, try running one channel at a time to see if the amp shuts off. If it plays at high power with 'either' channel and only shuts down when both channels are running at high power, the amp may be working properly and is simply shutting down due to low voltage.

**** If I'm not mistaken, those are (were) 10 ohm resistors. They are used extensively to provide protection for the regulated ±15v power supply. The caps provide additional filtering near the op-amps. I don't know why they would have failed. It's not likely to be part of the original problem. Is it possible that you didn't have the preamp boards plugged in correctly to the main board? You have to be careful connecting them. You need to replace them to see if they burn again. If they do, you may have a defective op-amp in that area.

The power supply is rigt for run the amp.

They shut down when is current only 6 A.

I change the resistors and the power suply is fine, + - 53V.

The voltage in the traks marked + /- 15 are +/ - 17V.

I have scope, if you see some more.

Perry Babin said:
Does the amp shut down if you run one channel at a time? There may be a problem with only one channel so this is something you need to check.

Did the resistors burn again after you replaced them?

±17 is OK.

Now the amp shut down whit out speakers, or signal.

The resistors are fine after change; I find one broken cap too. I need to change. (I will change the two).

I don't have information for the 300/2 but in the 300/4, Q500 is one of the power supply FETs. The power supply FETs in most of this series of amps is an IRFZ44.

In the 300/4 Q510 is an IRFZ34. If your amp uses the 3843B to drive Q510, it's likely an IRFZ34. An IRFZ44 would also work in that location.

If you have a scope, monitor the voltage on pin 20 of the audio driver board (looking at component side of driver board, it's the last pin on the right). If it's not very near 0v on one channel or you see a short pulse on one channel, you need to determine why it's going high.

Perry Babin said:
I don't have information for the 300/2 but in the 300/4, Q500 is one of the power supply FETs. The power supply FETs in most of this series of amps is an IRFZ44.

On this amp, all the power supply fets are FQP65N06, too Q510 are FQP65N06.

Always in all slash I have see the IRFZ44, this is the reason for my question.

300/2 PCB 100009

REV 1 9/22/00

After few days, I will follow:

The intermittent shut down is finish. They shut down only if the volume is high.

The amp works, clean audio, but the current is 4.5 Amp.

The pin 20 it’s OK. Thanks Perry

R513 and Q510 are very hot (I quit for measure, and they are ok.)

The diode in parallel it’s fine. Another near diodes is fine too.

The transformer not show visible overheat

When disconnect remote, The amp still turn on 5 seconds more.

In the same order:

Scope is setting to 5us, 5V.

Pin1

Pin2

Pin3

Pin4

Pin5

Pin6

Pin7

Pin8

Pin9

Pin10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.