Clarion HX-D10 problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a problem with this head unit as far as reading CDs. It will play all day with the engine off, but fire up the vehicle and the unit has problems reading a CD. Had it in my son's Honda and in my truck. Same thing happens. Turn the key on, OK. Start engine, almost without fail, ERROR 3 or ERROR 6. 3 is error for scratched CD. 6 is for upside down CD. Sometimes it will play for days without a problem. Other times it is a nightmare. At first I thought it had to do with CD quality, but I have encountered the same thing with DCC and MFSL gold, burned discs, you name it.

Could it be a simple adjustment of some kind having to do with the laser? Failure of some part or parts? I have two other HX-D10s and have never had any trouble, although I have heard of some problems with this model. Not sure if my case is common or not.

Thanks, Greg.....

not sure what to say about a solution...but it just sounds like your deck is very sensitive to vibrations. if it's an older unit, it might just be par for the course and time to get something new.

when inserting your cd, try revving your engine a bit so that the vibrations are different.

i had an older alpine deck that would sometimes not read if my car was idling (when first inserting disc), but if i had my engine revved while inserting disc then it would read just fine, every time.

Hi.

I have is little brother (DXZ715) and the same problem append to me.

When the key is turn ON and the engine is not running, everything is fine, play all disk.

When the engine is running the problem appear.
-If the disk is in, from previous listening session, sometime it play fine sometime I have Error.
-If I insert a new disk, sometime it play fine sometime it reject the disk with the Error. I have to put the disk back almost 10 times before it can read it and sometime it can't.

My understanding is maybe when the car is running the voltage is to high and the unit have problem to initialize the disk.

I will have to do some test and put 1 or 2 diodes in series with the power lead to drop the voltage, hope that will cure the problem.
I don't use the amplifier of the unit, so the current in the diodes won't be to high.

I never did figure out what was up with this HU. It continued to do this same thing(Working perfectly at times, not at all at other times. Almost always working fine with the engine off, being a complete PITA with the engine running) until it finally wouldn't work at all.

I bought an identical non-working unit off ebay for $10. I swapped out the CD transport from the non-working unit into the one I have been using. Had 5 screws, two ribbon connectors, and one other connector to complete the hook up. Amazingly easy to do and it works perfect. Took about 30 minutes from start to finish. I'm one happy man.

Still wish someone could come up with a logical explanation for what the problem was. It obviously had something to do with the CD transport, but what would it have been?

I can't argue with the vibrations idea because I do not know.

I recently read an article about modifying a very light, resonant CD transport by adding damping material. Just a few $$$ would do the trick. Since this is one of my all time favorite HUs, it would be worth the risk even if it does no good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.