ten inch subwoofers (looking for <35hz response) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2008, 10:31 PM   #1
e-dub is offline e-dub  United States
diyAudio Member

Default ten inch subwoofers (looking for <35hz response)

what 10 inch subwoofer would you guys suggest for amount of output below 35 hz? they will be driven by a series viii zeus running at four ohm stereo.

thanks!

eric b
Old 21st June 2008, 08:36 AM   #2
amc32 is offline amc32  United States
diyAudio Member

I would give RE AUDIO a try, not that there the only one's available.
But I have personal experience auditioning them verses others on the market.
Model SE10
3" voice coil dvc,reconable,this woofer will play in small enclosures (personal experience .3 ft.) and will have even more extension the larger the enclosure(I don't recommend anything past 1ft.)These are all sealed recommendations.Vented enclosures give you output for spl if you are into it,without having to invest in another.

I'm sure there's plenty of room for debate
Old 21st June 2008, 12:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by amc32
I would give RE AUDIO a try, not that there the only one's available.
But I have personal experience auditioning them verses others on the market.
Model SE10
3" voice coil dvc,reconable,this woofer will play in small enclosures (personal experience .3 ft.) and will have even more extension the larger the enclosure(I don't recommend anything past 1ft.)These are all sealed recommendations.Vented enclosures give you output for spl if you are into it,without having to invest in another.

I'm sure there's plenty of room for debate
i hope there is some debate in this thread, then! don't think there are any places to hear any super amps around here, but i'll definitely keep these in consideration. also... what's up with subs these days having such TERRIBLE efficiency numbers? i saw a 10 the other day that was something like 83 db/m. that used to be unheard of?!

eric b
Old 21st June 2008, 03:05 PM   #4
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

You shouldn't let the efficiency numbers mislead you. That is a measurement taken at a specific frequency and depending on the application, the number might not be applicable. You may have two different subs with one having a lower "efficency" with the higher efficiency woofer not having as much low frequency extension, even in the same sized box.
Old 21st June 2008, 06:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Efficiency, you just cant get around pyhisics, Vas,FS,Qts,Mass= Small Box or Large Box
Old 21st June 2008, 10:23 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

is 1.5 cubes large for a ten inch sub these days? that's what i would feel ok with giving up for each sub, sealed, of course...

eric b
Old 21st June 2008, 11:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

e-dub:
Quote:
what's up with subs these days having such TERRIBLE efficiency numbers? i saw a 10 the other day that was something like 83 db/m
If you're using a Zeuss Viii, power handling may be of more concern than efficiency!

The reduction in efficiency compared to older autosound woofers is real, and is a function of lowering the Vas to help reduce necessary enclosure volume.

Since kilowatts are now more economical with class D, it's not as big of an issue as it would have been when your Zeuss was built.

If you don't like the idea of burning power off within the sub and you have plenty of room, you could look into woofers made for home audio or home theater use.
Old 22nd June 2008, 05:14 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tsmith1315
e-dub:

If you're using a Zeuss Viii, power handling may be of more concern than efficiency!

The reduction in efficiency compared to older autosound woofers is real, and is a function of lowering the Vas to help reduce necessary enclosure volume.

Since kilowatts are now more economical with class D, it's not as big of an issue as it would have been when your Zeuss was built.

If you don't like the idea of burning power off within the sub and you have plenty of room, you could look into woofers made for home audio or home theater use.
hahaha. the zeus will be run stereo at four ohms. it keeps looking like the idmax is what i'm going to go with, but i am very open to suggestions. for what it's worth, i listen exclusively to electronic music. about 98% dance music (drum n bass, techno, house, in that order) and about 2% rap.

the ported box really looks a winner, though, with this one?

eric b
Old 22nd June 2008, 06:56 AM   #9
luka is offline luka  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to luka
Hi

Yup ported is probably the best way to go, you can check 500 and 1500 series from DD audio, they were made for listening more then SPL, I think they sound great, strong bass, and they all play low

Since you are from USA, check Audiopulse, I think you might like them
Old 22nd June 2008, 04:03 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Well the RE's model SE (versitility,and price wise) cant'be beat.Model SX(High output from ported enclosures,Flat-wire coil,price wise)can't be beat.
Honorable Mention: DD does make some loud stuff,Not
audiofile IMO.If you willing to spend the extra money,for bad customer service,and slow shipping.

Hide this!Advertise here!