Looking to buy my first subwoofers, can I get some advice? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2008, 06:37 AM   #1
lejain is offline lejain  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Looking to buy my first subwoofers, can I get some advice?

Hey I dont know much about audio equipment, I was just wondering if some of you guys could help me with a few questions before I buy some subwoofers for my car.
First off,can any one tell me what should I look for to make sure I'm buying a good quaility subwoofer? I'm willing to spend around $150-$250, if any one has reccomendations?

I've got a 2 door monte carlo, pretty small car, can I buy a rack (or whatever it would be called) to put the subwoofers in so I dont have to lay them on the floor?

One last thing, should I look into buying anything else to make them sound better, like an amplifier? I just dont know how important one is for the sound quality.

I would really appreciate the help.
Old 19th June 2008, 04:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Lots of great subs out there nowadays. Plenty enough to get you confused coming out the gate as you are. May I suggest you pick up a few car audio mag's and study up on the whole scene before you go spending you hard earned money.

Myself I am a PG person, I hear lots of good things about there RSD C 12's . I am still running there 5+ year old Ti products in my ride. I suggest you buy products that last more then anything, as this gets to be quite the investment after a bit.

Oh and yes if you run subs you will need a amp, and a good box to mount them in, and there is a bunch of math involved in building a good box for the subs.

If you not into the high road of this stuff may I suggest Alumapro subs and cabinets. They build a single 12 sub box that sounds pretty darn good. It lists for $450.00 but it can be had for half that price if you shop carefully, hers a link from e-bay so you know exactly what I am talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALUMAPRO-12-alum...QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck on your project...
Old 20th June 2008, 03:01 PM   #3
Dan2 is offline Dan2  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Looking to buy my first subwoofers, can I get some advice?

Quote:
Originally posted by lejain

I've got a 2 door monte carlo, pretty small car, can I buy a rack (or whatever it would be called) to put the subwoofers in so I dont have to lay them on the floor?

putting subs on the floor (without a box??) is not gonna help you at all, they need to be in an enclosure. and you definitely need an amp.

you might want to think about saving some $$$ for mids too. after all, music isn't all about bass
Old 20th June 2008, 04:20 PM   #4
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

I guess I would say don't spent that much and learn more about it so later you can swap to what you want. You will have to match your ohms of subs and amp, keep that in mind. If me I would figure out what power range you want to be at and get something cheap going. You can pickup a used class D 400rms for $40 on ebay (cheap insignia, etc), up to around 100 for a 600-1kw (maybe alpine or kenwood, etc., they will get the job done). Look up the new price on an amp if you can at a well known store, that will give you some idea of quality.There are so many subs hard to say, I saw some mtx the other day and I have had good luck with 4510 sealed but they are only 225rms....but I like the quality of sound. I saw those go for 50+ pair new. Guess I would run 12s if you have room. Most subs will get the job done, the enclosure is more important to make it sound right and most need larger box than they say. Stay away from really wacky brands. Insignia is cheap and in that price range the stuff breaks or does not perform well. I have tested some insignia and when working they work ok or I would not bring them up.

But if you don't spend much you are not out much; I bought a 2x300rms insignia nib for $40 one day but is class AB that takes more power and may not actually put that out. For myself I would rather buy used of better quality name if I have a limited budget, in general, but a larger sub amp will be out of your range then. On the other hand you can run $15 pyramids in the right box on a used $25 amp and it will sound great, maybe not shake the car but good bass for music listening. Depends on if you want to make noise or have quality sound, and better stuff takes more abuse. If you are not up to that, you could buy like a kicker or mtx loaded box and shop up a used amp. You can buy boxes pre-made, make it yourself, or get a loaded box with subs in it. If you can cut the holes and screw it together some lumber places will cut the pieces for you.
Old 22nd June 2008, 06:33 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

first measure out the space available for the enclosure, since you're going to need one, unless you're going to go with an infinite baffle, but you'll still need to know the cuft of the trunk.

once you know the space you have available in cubic feet. find a subwoofer thats designed to be in an enclosure smaller then the space you have available, because you would still have to subtract the port, if using a ported enclosure and also subtract the subwoofer displacement. itll also let you know if you can fit one or more subs.

laters

edit: as far as selecting the subs and amps, go with a brand that has a good history of making quality equipment. go to your local shops and have a listen. but don't let them convince you on a particular brand.
let your ears decide. also search the net for what to look for on a sub, what makes them tic, there are many factors that play very important roles within the subwoofer that will help you select from one sub to the next as far as build quality.

as far as amplifiers goes.
do the same search, go to ampguts @ ROE , and look at the internals of what ever particular amp you're looking for. youll get an idea of how cheap amps and good quality amps look like from the inside.

also the enclosure is a very important part of your system, it will make your subs sing or cry. get an enclosure designed for your particular sub or subs and space available as well as vehicles.

check out this site site link
they have some of the best designers and builders on the net.
im PowerNaudio there, but i don't build or design anymore, had back surgery so im out of that game. lol.

for more info on how to select equipment check this link out
junkyard-resources/ information

and don't buy crappy equipment just because of budget. you can always get some good brand used amps and subs that will rock for several years or till you decide to change systems. but insignia and pyle or boss are all crap. i like JLaudio, TC Sound, Rockford Fosgate, some Elemental Design, DD, clarion, eclipse, pioneer, kenwood, etc. but buy quality equipment it will last longer and will sound much better.

you can check out the for sale section on this site link
for good equipment at possibly good price.
check the sellers background and references before buying from them. im PowerNaudio there as well.

good luck
laters

Old 23rd June 2008, 01:30 AM   #6
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by boricuaso
but insignia and pyle or boss are all crap. i like JLaudio, TC Sound, Rockford Fosgate, some Elemental Design, DD, clarion, eclipse, pioneer, kenwood, etc. but buy quality equipment it will last longer and will sound much better.
This is true, IMO I will use them IF my budget dictates because quality of subs/sub amp matters least in a system and any subs are better than no subs...again IMO. If you can get better then do it, there certainly is a durability issue and only look at RMS ratings to try to compare. That said cheap sub stage can work well if you are not trying to shake the car apart. Subs are last place I spend my money, but if rest of your system is good then go to it.

Hide this!Advertise here!