shorted out deck???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Did something REALLY dumb.

Have a newer Pioneer deck which took out of car. Realized I left a CD in, and decided to eject. Was rewiring the harness for a different stereo, so instead of hooking up thru the harness, I jumped the yellew power & black ground wires directly to battery (yeah I know... dumb).
Sparked at battery terminal & blew 10Amp fuse in deck. When replaced fuse and then correctly rewired thru harness, the deck will not come on.
Any way to salvage the recever, or is it just a very small boat anchor?

well it still could be a couple of different things. Do u own a multi meter and if so check the diode behind where the harness plugs into the deck or u could have shorted out the main chip that controls powwer to the unit and speaker leads out if thats the case it still should only cost u around 20.00 to 25.00 dollars to buy the chip

Since you just took it out of the vehicle, I would have to assume that the harness works. Since you said it blew the 10 amp fuse when connecting it to the battery, you said nothing about this, but I would have to assume that you connected it backwards. There is a diode in the unit that protects the unit in case of an event as this. You replaced the fuse and said nothing about it blowing again, if it hasn't blown again, I would have to assume that the diode is not shorted. If you saw no smoke when connecting it to the battery, I would have to assume that there is not a burnt trace, when opening a trace of this magnitude, you will definitely see smoke, not a little, but enough to say to yourself, hey I should mention that when posting this problem on the forum. When you connected it to the harness and it did not come on, did you use a meter to verify that you had voltage on the red and yellow wire of the radio? You never said anything about the red wire when connecting to the battery, some Pioneer decks require the switched wire to be hot in order to eject a disk.
You asked how can you tell if the diode is out. If it was connected backwards, the diode would fail by shorting. If the unit was properly fused, it would have not shorted. If it had shorted, it would blow the fuse again when you connected it to a power source. If it is not blowing fuses, it is OK.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.