head unit not powering up

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Daweoo Matiz and have a Sony head unit that lays songs and stuff.
Normally when you turn the engine on the head unit turns on and when you rurn the engine off the head unit turns off too

now whenever i start the car it doesn't turn on the display stays blank.
however once later when i was driving the car and then turned off the engine i heard these pips, these pips normally happen when the radio has been on and then when you turn the car off the pips sound, when i heard these pips i turned the car back on and the radio and stuff was working and the head unit was lit up.

when i turned the car off and later drove it again the adio wouldnt come on and there was no lights or display.

there is power coming to it though because when i remove the head unit to access the cd slot when i press the eject button the cd ejects.

what shall i do?
thanks and please keep it simple as im not too knowledgeable about this stuff.

It could be the switched (ignition) power has a short and the constant (memory) power wire is ok. You need to pull or get behind the HU and look for usually a red and yellow wire and check their connections. They might be labeled or the switched will have a larger fuse/diameter wire and is often red but some are not. Those two power wires might have fuse holders in them, or they could be in the back of HU. Check the fuses/holders also, try to do it with key and HU on and see where the fault is. Also check the black ground wire for good connection.

Most have a can that goes in the dash, then the HU slides into it. Look on each side for a tab or catch, maybe a slot to put something in to release it. It will work real easy once you do it right, so don't force anything. Release both sides and the HU slides right out, be careful of wiring that pulls out with it. You may have to remove a thin trim around the HU that covers the edge of the metal can. Just look at it real close on each side and you should see it. I assume you mean you can remove the face of the HU? The release will be just outside of that and the whole thing comes out. Each HU has different way of doing it and I don't have a sony here.

+1 on the radio accessory power fuse (in the fuse box) being blown or having a loose connection. Sometimes the radio's fuses are shared with other components in the vehicle and blowing those fuses (cigarette lighter/accessory outlet) for example, can cause the deck to not power up.

I checked and changed the fuses still othing so i don't think its the fuses.

When i put the key in at the start and turn it a bit it starts working but as soon as i turn the key some more to start the engine the radio turns off.

i still cannot get the head unit out i looked at the manual and it sead you have to get a thin flat screwdriver insert it on one of the sides then push in the clips, then pull it out.

I have put the screwdriver in and i have pushed in the clips but i cannot seem to pull it out.

can anybody point me to some videos, i've looked at some on youtube but there stereos are different types.

Thanks.

It may have a strap on the back to hold it up, you would have to get under dash and disconnect it. Still often the HU will slide out a little, it might be hard to get a hold of it without pushing it out from the back. The clips can be a touch/feel kind of thing, meaning once they release the HU slides out easily but will not budge until then. Often you do one side and it will come out just a little bit, then the other side you have to do without letting the first side lock back in. Can you get a photo of it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.