power question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi there, im gettin a car, and im working on the sound system. i bought an Alpine MRP F450 amp, delivers 70 watts x 4 at 4 ohms.
i also bought some pioneer 8 inch co axials, theyre Pioneer TS-E2099's. (5 bux on ebay) theyre rms is 50 watts, peak 200 watts.

my question is, whats gonna happen if i pond 70 watts into these speakers, will it get dodgy?

also, if any of you have recommendation on how i can maximise the output, as in, can you recommend any speakers, that i can pick up for peanuts on ebay... im in need of a set of 5.25's, but they usually have low rms

im thinking of getting an active sub, seems like a simple plan. im not gonna bother with a head unit, just gonna line my ipod into the amp direct. do a stealth install...
the car was broken into last night and the cd player robbed! so theives wont be tempted by an empty hole...

If you want loud, I'd recommend you swap the other set of speakers to 6x9/8"/or at least 6.5 if at all possible. I've not seen the 8" but they should work well. Otherwise I would say bridge the rear half of the amp to a sub or subs. 1 or 2 10-12" the more the better. If you get some similar power subs they should work well, some high power subs are less efficient and will not put out on a smaller amp like lower power ones do...the dB of high power subs can be quite low. On the other hand I bought a 500w rms insignia NIB for a friend for $40 shipped, cheaper amp but would run subs so easily.

Ignore the peak ratings on anything. If you run harder than RMS for a while they will maybe blow, if you clip them they will blow a lot faster. That is why it is good to run too big an amp as it will not clip as soon, if you don't turn it all the way up. Clip the larger amp and it is all over, an amp puts out more power when it clips.

thanks guys. yeah the car is old, im going to be its final owner so i can mutilate the door brackets if i want to fit 6.5's.

yeah, i scan ebay .com, .uk and .de (Germany) all the time, seems they dont sell 8 inch coaxials in the US at all! theyre very popular in Britan and Germany, and though theres some powered subs on .uk, theres a huge market for them in Germany. strange the trends. i really like the look of the pioneer tubes, theres one called "the pump" - looks badass. plus theyre already properly designed, and require less thinking from me.

anyways, kudos for the advice,
ned .

Hey if they have powered subs over there reasonable, why not. I used a little one for years in rentals for company stuff.

The larger speaker should be more efficient and have more bass....all good things if you want loud. I don't think any cars here come with 8s factory, but they would be nice if you ask me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.