4ohm Resistance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey, I have a logitech x230 (4 ohm) home theatre sub, and my bro brought in his 12" Infinity reference sub (4 ohm), and I decided to connect the 12" infinity, which i have, I have connected it from the logitech x230's little 4inch sub so both are on, they are not in series but in parrarel.

is this safe to do or will it fry the amp? so far its fine.

If its not okay im happy to dissconnect the 4inch sub and let the 12" get another 10 watts.

The x230 delivers 20 watts to the 4 inch sub, since ive connected the 12" im guessing its sharing 10 watts each, i know the 12" is being seriouslly underpowered by about 590 watts but its ok i suppose, i dont mind giving it another 10 watts.

so what do you think. later on i will be buying a logitech z-5500 which comes with a 10" driver with about 188 watts, which should be enough to satisfy me and my home theatre ways.

It's probably not safe to parallel another woofer onto the amp unless the x230 had a set of speaker output terminals designed to accept a second 4 ohm woofer.

The wattage isn't shared. The amp is probably producing nearly double the original power. Disconnecting the original woofer probably won't cause significantly more power to go to the other woofer but it will allow the internal amp to operate into a safe load.

Edit: It went well! I disconnected the 4" which made the clipping go (when i reached high volumes) so right now its got 4ohm and the 12" actually sounds louder and the quality has been increased, thanks people for the help i appreciate it. of course though the 12" is being highly underpowered but its better then the 4" it moves much more air, not to much flex though.

Yeah i was thinking about that, smaller sub would take less power to punch, but then again its a smaller surface area.. I might get the 8" version of my sub that takes up to about 200w max, or i might just get the logitech z-5500 that comes with a 10" logitech driver, if im still not satisfied i can get a infinity 10" 8ohm (z-5500 takes 8ohm) and see how better it would be for the infinity 10" takes 188 watts rms instead of the cheap logi driver that comes with it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.