Kicker SX650.1 Input Voltage Question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th May 2008, 06:44 PM   #1
Flyin11 is offline Flyin11  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Kicker SX650.1 Input Voltage Question

Hi all...I might be looking at purchasing a Kicker SX650.1 amplifier. This amp is controlled electronically. It says it has a Ultra Match Gain Control and here is what Crutchfield said about it in it's descriptions (Can't buy from them as it's discontinued) :

UltraMatch Gain Control: The input sensitivity setting utilizes a digital gain control with 5 selectable gain ranges (1, 2, 4, 8 or 16 Volts). Each range has a gain adjustment of 0 to 12 dB in 0.5 dB increments.

Now, I have a 5V headunit so I'm wondering...If I would set the gain to 8V cause 5V of course is higher than 4V, would this hurt anything? Would that be like telling the amp I have a 8V signal and it won't put out any sound cause I have 5V and not 8 or would it be like saying I have up to a 8V signal?
Old 19th May 2008, 07:07 PM   #2
shagone is offline shagone  United States
diyAudio Member

if you set it to 4 and leave the db's at 0 you should be ok but as with every setup you should set it to where it just starts to cause audible distortion and then back it off until it is clear. you may have to turn the volume on the head unit way up to get to 4volts

your head unit says 5volts but it is not always putting out 5volts. that depends on the song, volume level, and your bass and treble settings.
Old 19th May 2008, 08:48 PM   #3
Flyin11 is offline Flyin11  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah...I know...I'm just trying to find a amp that has a input sensitivity of up to 5V or more so I will know that it is doing what it's suppose to as right now, the question of "I'm wondering what it would sound like if I had a amp that had 5V sensitivity would sound like." is always in my head. The closest I can find to the power I want and need is by Kicker but that amp cost over $200.00 on EBay and there aren't any used for sale yet. I figured I could save myself a lot of money by maybe getting this one with all it's features but I'm not going to get it if it doesn't accept up to a 5V input. I'd rather spend $100.00 on this other Kicker amp and know that it will take that much input than get one like I already have that doesn't support it and still be thinking to myself the same questions the whole time...
Old 20th May 2008, 12:24 AM   #4
shagone is offline shagone  United States
diyAudio Member

even if you get an amp that can only take 4volts of input you can still use it safely with your head unit, you will just reach full power sooner on the volume knob and you can keep the gain all the way down to have a lower noise floor.

those kickers are not bad, i reapired one a few months ago and it had plenty of clean power and all sorts of digital configuration option.

Hide this!Advertise here!