Power Supply for LM4780 based car amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK guys I'm going to take the plunge soon to build a car amp based on the LM4780 chip(s).

I am very new to building amplifiers and am going to build some home audio chip amps first to get some hands on practice.

I was hoping someone has built a car amp using LMxxxx chips and could give me some guidance on building a powersupply for said amplifier.

Thanks!
J

You have to build it to be compatible. The winding ratio (primary to secondary) determines the unregulated voltage of the supply.

If you build an unregulated supply, you have to use a ratio that will not produce more than the maximum voltage that the amp can handle. If you're using chip amps, the absolute maximum supply voltage is listed on the datasheet.

If you build a regulated supply, you will over-wind the secondary. Without regulation, this would cause the transformer to produce too much voltage but the regulator controls the duty cycle of the drive pulses and holds the voltage at the regulated voltage.

The unregulated circuit is somewhat easier to build but you'll lose a bit of power. The regulated supply requires a few more parts but the output voltage will not dip when the input voltage drops or when current demand is high (at high power).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.