Ethical dilemma - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2008, 05:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Ethical dilemma

Would it be considered wrong to sell a high end SQ amp to a friend who primarily listens to country music?
Old 11th May 2008, 06:06 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Ethical dilemma

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Hotnuts
Would it be considered wrong to sell a high end SQ amp to a friend who primarily listens to country music?
Probably, considering the fact a tin can and rubber band can reproduce most country music.
Old 11th May 2008, 06:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'd say you're not a friend at all. 'Friends' don't let friends listen to country music.
Old 11th May 2008, 06:58 PM   #4
MartyM is offline MartyM  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MartyM
It's only wrong if you do like so many "experts" at the local store or big-box store do and tell him it's what he needs if for all practical purposes he does not.

I guess though you're kind of half-way kidding, right?
Old 12th May 2008, 01:31 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to MatthewS Send a message via MSN to MatthewS Send a message via Yahoo to MatthewS
Depends on why your selling it to him. Is he pushing you for it because he believes in good SQ? Does he plan to utilize the capabilities of the unit in question? If yes on both I say you put your differences in musical taste aside. Because honestly a LOT of country music consists of strings, drums, and even some orchestra instruments. He has every right to enjoy fine replication of these instruments even if country music sucks in your eyes.

However if the answer is no to both and he just wants an amp, and thats the only amp you have laying around you would be a better friend to say 'hey man, if you just want some power and don't necessarily needs audiophile grade equipment to do it might I suggest we head down to the local insert_retailer_here and pick you out something that suits you together?' And make it a date.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.

- Matt
Old 12th May 2008, 02:04 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
'Friends' don't let friends listen to country music
Your friend needs help, Jonny.

If you help him put together a great sounding system, it's only going to make the allure of country music even stronger.

What he needs is a musicalyzer that will analyze the content. When country music is detected, it will add various bits of square, triangle and sawtooth waves into the song for negative reinforcement.

Before you know it, your friend will be off the dirt road and back on the rock n roll highway. And be strong, he may put up a fight in the beginning.

(My road's not really dirt, it's mostly clay)

Hide this!Advertise here!