interresting amp question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have an older model smaller 2-channel earthquake amp that i'm working on (black with gold emblem) that powers on and outputs audio on my bench when i run it through a 2 ohm current limiting resistor. when i try to power it on directly without the limiting resistor the power led flashes on and off every couple of seconds and never stays on. it also causes my test head unit that is connected to the same power supply to flash on and off.

What could be the cause of this? i pulled the board and it has some questionable solder joints but i tried to touch most of them up and it still flashes on and off.

has anyone ever seen this happen before?

It's more likely that the supply (SMPS?) doesn't like the highly capacitive load the amp presents; not so much that it is under powered.

I have some 12v 12A switching supplies and they do the same thing if I try to connect a car amp directly to them. They work fine if I insert a 0.1R resister in series with the power wire.

no high current, maybe 2 amps at the most but i forgot to measure it again.

i started having problems with other amps such as distortion and the head unit blinking again.

here is what i found:

my test head unit had a bad ground (i think). Don't twist and tape even when in a rush, it won't last!

i tried a new test head unit on a seperate power supply (i soldered the leads this time) with my main supply powering the amp.

the other amps now test fine and i think the first head unit may be fine but i'll try that later.

the earthkuake amp i'm still not sure on. it has a switch in the rca's so it won't power up until you plug at least one in. first time i remember seeing this! when i plug in the rca's i get a green power light and also a solid red diagnosis light but the amp plays music undistorted and doesn't draw high curent.

is the constant red light the protect light or is it supposed to be on and blink when it is in protect mode???

Perry Babin said:
If the grounds of the two power supplies aren't connected together (confirm with multimeter), you should connect them. Check it when there is no load connected to either supply.

Shouldn't they be connected if i have them both plugged into the same power strip? if they aren't can i just run a jumper from one 12v output ground to the other? i'm not home now so i'll have to check this tonight.

Perry Babin said:
If both supplies have 3 prong plugs, they should be connected but sometimes ground traces get burned and the connection is broken. You can't take anything for granted. You must confirm that the grounds are connected.

Connecting the two ground terminals on the supplies with a wire is OK.

i just remembered that the old ham radio supply has a 2-prong plug and the BK presion is a 3-prong. how exacly should i ground the 2 supplies together?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.