Building a car amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To begin with, I have never built an amplifier before but am quite comfortable with a soldering iron. I have built numerous passive crossovers but I want to build an amplifier for my vehicle.

This is just one of those things I have never done but really want to do. I order to do this at a competent level I am going to need some guidance and good advise. So I am asking you for that guidance.

My goal is: a strong 3/5 channel amplifier that will product 100-150 watts per front channels and a solid 500-700 watts to the sub channel.

THANKS !

J

This is not going to be a simple project. Expect at least 2 months to get it working properly (unless you buy kit amps).

If you haven't selected an amplifier design, you need to do that first. Chip amps may be the easiest. The chip amp forum would be better able to help you in your selection. If you want an all discrete design, there are plenty available on the net. The Solid State forum could probably narrow down your choices. When you have made your choices, post them here.

The power supply will be much easier. You will probably need to build 2 independent supplies (one for subs and one for highs).

For the sub channel, you'd need to use the Linear amp circuit. For the highs channels, you could use either the discrete amp or chip amp.

For the sub channels, I'd recommend using an exact copy of the 8002's audio circuit (2 channels bridged).

You should begin thinking about the type of construction you're going to use. Laying the boards out in a layout editor (Eagle, etc...) and having them printed by a boardhouse will look the best and will be reliable but will be more expensive than using prototype boards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.