Help with Phoenix Gold EQ215x - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th April 2008, 03:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Help with Phoenix Gold EQ215x

Hello folks, I really need help with my PG EQ215x. I have one with a fried power supply and cannot correctly identify the two mosfets that switch the primary side of the power supply. Could someone please look at theirs and help me to identify these devices so that I can rebuild my EQ. They are the only tabbed devices in the unit. They are located on the right side of the bottom circuit board, just below the transformer. Only the top cover needs to be removed to see them. Thanks

Messerschmitt
Old 27th April 2008, 04:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

IRF 540 is the call out. IRFZ-34 will work also. These fets failed because the toroid core is shorted. they cost $7.00 each and are available form PG directly here in the US.
I have seen this several times and its always the same. the toroid windings short, then the power supply follows.

If your outside the US PG/Rodin will not answer e-mails, you must call directly. You can get their number by goggling Phoenix Gold, it will link you to the new Rodin site and look under support.

Suggestion:
These Mosfets can be mounted on the bottom of the board with their tabs resting against the back plate as a heat sink. I do this on all repairs and it works well. Use any TO-220 insulator setup you have available. This works well to aid in heat transfer, as they do get very hot to the touch in normal operation. I have zero warranty return rate doing this..... Hope this helps...
Old 27th April 2008, 05:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up WOW that was fast....

Thanks for the fast response, that's just what I needed to know. I have also emailed you regarding the Zetex MBS 4993 transistor that I will also need. Does PG still supply them???

Messerschmitt
Old 27th April 2008, 05:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Your e-mail has been answered.....C

Hide this!Advertise here!