Very newbie question on Amp impedences

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok i am new to some of this stuff, so bear with me.

Ok so i just purchased a power amp for my car and plan on installing it this weekend. My question is this: The amp has a LowZ input which connects to the receiver via RCA cables. It also has a HighZ input which has some adapter i've never seen. The Amp came with a plug for the adapter that had bare leads on the other end. What is the differences/advantages to the HighZ vs. LowZ inputs?

The "LowZ" is for "line level" inputs, the kind you generally connect with RCA styles connectors. The "HighZ" (the inputs with the bare wires) is for using the amplified outputs of the head unit. The high level inputs are provided in case there aren't any line level outputs available.

EDIT: Shagone beat me.:eek:

Perry Babin said:
It seems like the terminology is wrong. I think they have high impedance (Z = impedance) and low impedance backwards.

The low impedance (~15-2000 ohms) is for high level (speaker level) input.

The high impedance (10,000-50,000 ohms) is for low level (preamp level) input.

Thats right i had it backwards. Low and high Z are usually pro-audio terms that i haven't used in a while (since my DJ'ing days during the uderground rave scene in Los Angeles in the early 90's) I feel old!:cannotbe:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.